PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our visit (in 2022) to Avebury Manor, Henge and Stone Circles, Marlborough, Wiltshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panels).

You can find out more about Avebury Manor Here and Avebury Henge and Stone Circles Here and/ or Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Avebury Manor is an early 16th-century manor house, built on the site of a Benedictine Priory (which had been founded in 1114). Fragments of the original priory were later incorporated into the manor house.

RF-S-Av1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

2. As part of a BBC television series called ‘The Manor Reborn’, the furniture and objects now contained within the house are either newly recreated, or genuine antiques which have been restored by modern craftspeople.

RF-S-Av2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 31.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

3. The Keiller Parlour. Alexander Keiller was a wealthy archaeologist living at Avebury Manor from the 1930s. (The Stone Circle at Avebury owes much to his careful excavations and funding).

RF-S-Av4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 5000

4. The Edwardian kitchen. The kitchen has always been the heart of this home and is one of the earliest parts of the building.

RF-S-Av3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 6400

5. Avebury henge and stone circles are one of the greatest marvels of prehistoric Britain. Built and much altered during the Neolithic period, roughly between 2850 BC and 2200 BC, the henge survives as a huge circular bank and ditch, encircling an area that includes part of Avebury village.

RF-S-Av5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 29.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 125

6. Within the henge is the largest stone circle in Britain - originally of about 100 stones - which in turn encloses two smaller stone circles.

RF-S-Av6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 25.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

(Sources: National Trust and English Heritage).

Very interesting. My house by comparison is 22 years old. :)

Love the pictures, and your use of the 24-105. Do you find it to have any limitations in image quality to the shorter but faster Canon options?

Mark

Love the pictures, and your use of the 24-105. Do you find it to have any limitations in image quality to the shorter but faster Canon options?

Mark
Hi Mark,

Cheers - appreciated!

When we do our historic property visits, my lenses of choice are the RF24-105L and RF16mm - the 24-105 gives me a very useful range and the 16 is fun. My choice of these over potentially more cutting edge primes is influenced by one major consideration - I don't have any (well, any suitable options - I have aged EF85mm and EF50 lenses, both cheapo versions). I also have an RF35 (which I consistently forget to pack and/ or use), but that's not top drawer either. I do prefer keeping things simple (and light) and if you watched me trying to change lenses in the field, you'd very soon realise that's not my strong point either... :LOL:

(Karen is a zoom freak, pure and simple, but for historic property visits she is most 'at home' with her EF16-35L f/4).

Consequently, I have nothing to compare our results with. I also have to point out that all of the images I post here were shot raw and will have been processed with various pieces of 'life enhancing software' (some of which I almost know how to use correctly... :) ) - so these are not 'out of camera'.

I do sometimes find that our files require quite a bit of pushing and pulling to get things to where I want them to be, though this can often be attributed to our random button pressing approach to photography. (I'm currently processing some files from last weekend which are all over the place technically, but the ideas behind the compositions and desired outcomes are generally sound. To be honest, it would probably help if we stop having so much fun and giggling).

Phil

Last edited:
I can appreciate your comment "some of which I almost know how to use correctly", I resemble that remark....lol. I will say, from my perspective I do feel you are understating your abilities, the pictures look great.

Thank you for taking time to respond with these details.

Mark

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back