Kamoshika

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David
Came across this Japanese house bat (abura koumori [oil bat]) flying about in the middle of the day (odd). As you can imagine, erratic flight, fast and a small target (body length less than 5cm), it required a bit patience to capture a decent shot. Was using the RF 100-500mm, but at 500, it was difficult to keep the bat in the focus area long enough to give the AF a chance--kept zooming out and in to get a lock.
JHB3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 1250
JHB2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 640
JHB1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 640

Awesome shots David. You definitely did well tracking this guy!

Fantastic series of shots, David. I can't even begin to fathom how hard it must have been to track it.

Fantastic series of shots, David. I can't even begin to fathom how hard it must have been to track it.
Thank you. Luckily, the R6MII is quite capable--and the 20fps also helped a lot (maybe I should have used 40fps). I initially fired off a ton of shots, but most were too far off for such a little animal. I then realized it was going to be hanging out for a while in this one section of river, and saw it was flying a regular route up and down this section, so I just waited until it came flying by for a shot attempt. A few misses, but eventually got a few.

Love these bat shots David, especially the first one with shallow DOF. Did you use eye detection set to "animals"?

Love these bat shots David, especially the first one with shallow DOF. Did you use eye detection set to "animals"?
Thank you. Yes, I had the eye detection set to animals and servo AF case set to 3.

These are amazing shots! You did a really fine job getting some sharp photos in spite of AF!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back