DPiddy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David
Hello all,

Its exciting getting a new toy, such as the R5, but the frustrating part is then being stuck in a hard lock down! This severely limits where one can go and what one can try to shoot with said new toy. The other day I noticed that we have a number of native Tui birds flying around in a tree on the property and at times you catch them flying in and out. I thought seeing I am here I will try to have a play with the R5 and see if I can capture any good shots of these birds in flight (baring in mind that I have never been one for taking fast shots of anything!)

I tried to make some setting adjustments to the R5 (again like learning something brand new compared to my Canon 5D) - as a first time attempt at this I tried some of the following
- Set a relatively high ISO, and fast shutter (what i thought was fast anyway)
- Set AF to zone and not face tracking, also keep on servo for AF.
- Changed the standard set up so that the back * button would be for focus and the main shutter would then be just to take the shot (have never tried this before)
- using my EF 70-200mm f2.8 but having a higher f stop to try to get more of the bird in focus
- finally setting to high speed shooting (figured i would try what 20 fps would do for me)

Save to say not all worked as I hoped it would… firstly i think a problem i cam across was that I was shooting to an SD card and no CFexpress (didn’t have one of those as yet). So my fps seemed to be very low - perhaps capped at 6 or so frames.
I really struggled trying to track these birds and get them in focus (perhaps first main lesson ….dont start on something that moves so fast and erratically!) when i thought i may have them focus and start shooting it would as likely miss them or not be in focus…the limited FPS also prevented getting too many shots that could be of any use.

Anyway - first attempt and thought I would load here for advice - I dont have zoom lens better than the 70-200 at this stage!

Attachments

• 67F1A9E6-EB86-4BC5-AC80-973047623FB1.jpeg
    67F1A9E6-EB86-4BC5-AC80-973047623FB1.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 530DE756-72DD-4078-B79E-4E942D1F12CB.jpeg
    530DE756-72DD-4078-B79E-4E942D1F12CB.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 5B5BEEB7-9B3E-4923-9583-5BFF8D5C6EEF.jpeg
    5B5BEEB7-9B3E-4923-9583-5BFF8D5C6EEF.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 84
Wait till you get a RF 100-500. At 500mm it's tough to keep them in the frame. I use Animal eye focus and get about 2 or 3 shots out of 50 or so as keepers. I used to shoot skeet. That was easier than shooting eagles. Practice practice practice.

Attachments

• eagle2.jpg
    eagle2.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 75
  • looking-for-fish.jpg
    looking-for-fish.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 69
Thanks ! So when you shoot on animal focus what are your other focus settings to stop it going in and out or jumping to another subject ?
Those have been my common issues :)

When shooting flying birds, usually the only thing in the VF is the bird, so nothing to jump to. I use servo, multi- shot mode, eval metering. And with my running dogs, as long as I keep them in the frame it stays locked on.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back