prglassma

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bob Glassman
I hear a lot of talk about a lot of different kinds of Tri pods from manfrotto, Gitzo, Sirui, Peak Design, etc. There are a number of reviews on YouTube about Tripods. I saw so many reviews that I got very confused on what to buy. So I made a decision and went with the benro rhino series 3 with the V 30 ball head. Was it the most expensive but it wasn't the least expensive either. This thing is a lightweight Tank. It holds up to 44 pounds. It works great and I love it. I doubt I'll have to buy another tripod ever again. The funny thing is is that you never hear anybody talk about benro really. Highly recommended.

I have the same one, and I love it. It's VERY solidly built, and I like the safety catch on the ball head. With the big lens attached to my camera, I'm really paranoid about it coming off the tripod, but it's secure on the Benro. We have a Manfrotto, too, but the Benro has the Arca Swiss quick release that's compatible with my Peak Design system.

Do you think it is built better then the Manfrotto?

Ours is an older aluminum travel Manfrotto, and my Benro is carbon fiber, so it's not a fair comparison. I would say if they were of the same model comparison, they would be of comparable build quality.

I wish I had seen this earlier. I just wrote an endorsement for Vanguard, though I know Benro makes a fabulous product!

"Not sure about how everyone "else" values a decent or even great tripod. For those of us just starting or experienced, a decent tripod and monopod (to be discussed later) are important when shooting in low light or you need to be still when taking photos...or you just need another hand and can shoot remotely.

I use the Vanguard Alta Pro series. I have both the pistol grip and ball head. I just happened to come across the pistol grip on day while perusing a pawn shop. They had no idea what they had and I got a great deal. They are by no means the highest end of the spectrum, but very good!

So what's the most valuable thing to me (besides it's ratings and stability)? I like that I can bring the head to almost floor level! I use change the center tube to reach to the side instead of just sticking straight up. This comes in handy for doing things like macros (flowers, insects, etc.) and getting very low to the ground shooting from the "worm's eye" view.

Great tripod for the money!"

Well I thought I would add a quick thought about the tripod that I got. The real test will be when I go to Alaska in the next couple months but so far I have to say I have been very impressed.

MeFOTO GlobeTrotter 64.2" Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod

It can go super tall and amazingly be very stable at max height, I basically was taking moon shots at 50-70 degrees with my Sigma 150-600 with the EF converter and 1.4x tele with my "R" body. with no sway or movement at all. It is pretty lite being carbon fiber and titanium. It is pretty compact folded up. So overall I'm a happy camper. I can recommend it at this point but like I said end of July will be the true test hiking in the Alaska wilderness.

Last edited:
I keep hearing how light the R5 is with the 100 - 500 and that it can be used hand held.... but I have a constant hand shake from years of asthma sprays and just cannot hold them still, or get those amazing sharp shots. So, I'm looking for a great tripod setup for bird photos (and everything I shoot). I think I'm almost settled on the Benro, not sure which is best but like the rhino and the bat models. I don't Like ball heads as I'm frightened the lens will drop forward so looking at the Benro GH5C gimbal. Does anyone have any experience of using a gimbal With the R5?

I use the Benro Gimbal with a R6 , once you get used to the gimbal you'll never dream of going back to a a ball & socket!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back