Canon R7 Body Protection for the R7?

Woodbadger

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ian Layton
I have just got my R7. Primarily for bird photos so I expect to be out “in the wilds”. With that in mind looking for opinions on cage vs. Silicone body cover (for the camera!!!) to limit potential damage. I do not expect to need to “add on” so a cage would be strictly for protection. TIA

Knock on wood but in over 40 years of pursuing photography, the worst I ever damaged anything was a few nicks on the bodies when I was shooting stills for a Chevrolet industrial film where I had to carry two film cameras at the same time all day long for two weeks. The were black lacquer on brass in those days. The local repair shop had them both tiptop shortly after that. Maybe it's just luck but every used DSLR camera body I ever sold was immaculate and I've never used anything other than an L-Bracket on any of them. I do take special care when handling equipment and try to never to get in too much of a hurry when setting up.
I do have an acquaintance who shoots constantly and racks up ±1,000,000 frames in a year. His equipment shows commensurate wear levels. Another acquaintance has dropped his super-telephoto lenses multiple times. We're all different.
If you must have something, probably a cage is your best bet. The silicone skins are sort of a kluge. SmallRig makes a nice cage but there are many other sources. I prefer to keep the weight down but I do always mount an L-Bracket on all my cameras simply to allow more versatility. Good luck.

Just last Sunday I went off trail down a steep incline through the forest with dense undergrowth, carrying my r6m2 w/100-500w/extender strapped around my neck and no problems. I was careful with it, but I didn't really need any protection. If it came to the point where I did feel the need for protection, I would just put it away in my backpack.

I like the Smallrig cages on my RF5 and 6. On the field my problem is lesser protection but rather the additional grips for my old fingers getting the camera with RF 70-200/2.8 out of the bag on the tripod and putting it back again

Changed to RF7 3 days ago. The cage of the R6 could be fitted after drilling another hole for the bottom screw. Now I have still better grips if working witrh the RF 100-500 IMG_1164.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 74

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back