Canon R7 WEPOTO GP-R7

JHG

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
JHG
We all know that the R7 is tiny, and sadly, we also know that Canon is not going to make any R7 grip either. And if you attach some white lenses on it, it just feels...... imbalance. So the search for a 3rd party grip was on, until I found this WEPOTO GP-R7 (yes, not Wephoto, and I double checked it). I was seriously thinking of buying the CustomBatteryGrip R7 extension but it just looks like a piece of 3D printed plastic without even being polished. And while I was looking at the Smallrig R7 cage on some Chinese shopping website, this GP-R7 popped up. At £57 (before VAT), it is a bit steep to be honest, but I was do desperate that I simply pressed the 'Buy Now' button.

A week later, it turned up in my mailbox (well, more like underneath....). It is a well made metal unit made of aluminium, it fits perfectly onto my R7, with the help of an Allen key. I have a small complaint about this though, the Allen key is supposed to be attached with some magnet underneath the groove of the grip, but the magnet is so weak that the key will fall out with a tap. Despite this minor issue, the extension grip does look pretty well made, and my pinky finally can rest onto something solid. The ledge looks to be the same design as the CBG grip for easy access to the battery door without the need to detach the grip. It weights at 105g and it definitely adds some heftiness to the camera, which I think is perfect when you attach a bigger lens to it. The grooves at the bottom will also allow you to quickly attach it to a quick release mount on a tripod. In fact, it has options for adding a L-plate extension on the left hand side of the grip. Would I recommend it? Yes. Is it expensive for what it is? Probably yes as well.

batch_IMG_6093-tile.jpg

This one actually looks cool, and cheaper as well. In fact it looks like a cut down version of the Smallrig cage.
B&H has the cage -

bh01.jpg

$100 USD

This may get interesting. I got an order confirmation on the first, probably computer generated.
On the second, I got 2 emails, 12 minutes apart. They both had links for tracking.
This was the first one -

Clipboard01.jpg

Not up to par with Italian, don't have a clue except maybe something with the post office?
2nd email gave me a link to the USPS, who tells me they don't have it yet.
So it's wait and see. Ulanzi didn't waste any time hitting the credit card.

Interested to know how/if the bar on the right hand side interferes with shutter release, front dial access. Also if this presents same issues S to access to lens lock as the Small Rig does.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back