Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
So in the 800mm post I posited that the 100-400mm + TC's might be a more flexible, if slightly more costly option than just buying the 800mm prime. I discussion precipitated about the quality of that lens with TC's, and given that I do not have an 800mm f11 to do a side-by-side with at the moment I decided instead to take a look at it vs. the 100-500mm since I have both and bought the 100-400mm for my wife to use when we shoot together (so I can sell off the old Nikon D500 and primes she's using now). I would have loved to have done this with both lenses on the same body, but given that the focusing systems are the same and the 1.4x provides a bit more reach for the less pixel-dense R6, it's what I have available without having to swap lenses in the NJ cold.

I have to say that the focus systems (set up identically) performed equally well. Even in shadows they picked up the eyes of all the birds that bothered to show themselves this afternoon. I did my best to capture the same bird in as close to the same situation and light. I processed the raw files with my typical workflow which is generally just a crop in Lightroom then in Photoshop I'll run it through Topaz Denoise AI and Camera Raw filter. I did this because it gives me an idea of how well one setup works vs. the other for me and my use. In my opinion the only major distinction here is that the R5 provided more pixels per bird and therefore increased some details, and there was some minor detail loss as would be expected from a TC, but overall both provided excellent results and think that the less expensive combination would give the average birder something they'd be more than happy with. I did find that in certain light the 100-400mm+TC did have more frequent minor focus variations from image to image when shooting a burst, but I still had plenty of keepers. If the weather cooperates tomorrow I may switch the lenses and bodies and do this again.

In all of these the R5 & 100-500mm image is first and the R6 & 100-400mm+1.4xTC image follows.
R51_9772-Edit-copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 250
R60_2379-Edit-copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 500

R51_9789-Edit-copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 3200

R60_2419-Edit-copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 4000

R51_9825-Edit-copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 250

R60_2517-Edit-copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1000

Interesting comparison and well-thought-out and done. I can't see much of a difference either. I have the 1.4X for the 100-500 and am slightly frustrated by the need for such a high ISO because of the F10 even on a mostly bright day.

Awesome thanks for sharing🙏 Please keep the updates coming, I'm looking at getting both the R6 and the RF 100-400mm and would love to learn more.

Are the images the full frame originals or are they cropped?
They're all cropped in to some degree, the last significantly (small bird on the top of a dead tree easily 45-50 feet away). I was on my deck and had to shoot what was came to me. I believe if I was able to go full frame the differences would be even less perceptible.

Thanks, and a great comparison. It's good to see how the 100-400 performs with the 1.4TC.

Thanks, and a great comparison. It's good to see how the 100-400 performs with the 1.4TC.
I am rank beginner. R6 going on two months now. Use the above mentioned set up with extender on and off to me hard to pick difference in quality of pics.
But certainly changes speed of focusing when it’s on. Still focuses but noticeable difference to me.
Unless something amiss in my settings

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back