JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
I have started shooting with a few older generation lenses. I find them to produce some very nice images. My favorites are the SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.4, SMC Pentax DA* 16-50 SDM, and Canon EF 16-35 F2.8 L II USM. The colors seem to richer, more contrasty, and the images seem to have a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’ to them. When edited in a slightly retro look the aesthetics really pop.

Unfortunately I can’t always say the same about some of the modern RF lenses. To me, after shooting with the RF consumer level lenses, specifically 24-105 STM, 50 & 85 STM, I find those lenses to sometimes provide a very clinical, sterile if you will, image. That’s not to say I haven’t produced some lovely images with them. I surely have. I’ve done some great work with them, and yes, the files edit just fine. However, sometimes I come away from them feeling like something in the image is missing, especially after I’ve been shooting with one of my older lenses (The Canon EF 16-35 lives on my R6MkII.)

The RF 70-200 F4 L does render very nice images and I really love that lens. I don’t think it has the same clinical and sterile qualities as the aforementioned STM lenses. The files are malleable, the images clean, very clean, maybe….too clean?

My photographic journey started as self therapy. It has evolved into a side business. What started as my search for the technically superior, optically perfect, best of the best, I find my tastes have circled around to the vintage. There’s something about an old lens. Heck, sometimes a DSLR just hits the spot. This itch for the imperfect has me searching for Pentax and Canon film cameras, just so I can stick 50s on them and capture the world.

Perhaps imperfection is where the art lies. The unrealistically vibrant colors. The dreamy imperfect bokeh, slightly soft image created by a 50+ year old lens. Or even the coatings and manufacturing processes of even the previous generation of lenses. Sometimes I wonder if the optically perfect lenses of today are making the art of photography too sterile, too sharp, too perfect. Does anyone else share these sentiments?

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts. I have that SMC Takumar f/.4 somewhere, probably seriously yellowed by now. I should give it a try.

My experience with these fabled old (and very expensive in the day) lenses is that they are good but lack the resolution of modern optics. No doubt they add some "character" and we might like that character. Maybe it is a bit like the harmonic distortion added by old tube amplifiers which gave a certain resonance that we missed when technology improved.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back