Followers
Following
Name
Yang Mills
City/State
East Anglia, UK
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
One of the things that going mirrorless has allowed me to do is to use vintage lenses. You can get RF adapters for several different old mounts, for example the M42 screw mount. This allows me to adapt the lenses to work on R bodies. Focusing is manual of course, but the EVF offers a couple of focusing aids (focus peaking and magnification). Aperture setting is also manual on the lens, but exposure can be automatic via Manual with Auto ISO. You’re not going to shoot sport or kids running around this way, but it works well for landscape, still life, flowers and gardens and so on – even street.

Why do it? After all, most vintage lenses don’t have the sharpness and contrast of modern lenses, at least not wide open. One reason to do it is because you can – it adds interest and a different sort of challenge. I like to use old lenses in the same way as I like to wear old watches. Another reason is that some vintage lenses are available at very reasonable cost and work as well as modern lenses in some applications and they are light and small. Vintage lenses are often beautifully made and are a joy to use. For me, the most important aspect is the optical character of the old lenses – especially wide open or nearly wide open they render differently from modern lenses. There is a fashion in modern portrait, wildlife and flower photography to render the background into a smooth featureless blur and to make the in-focus areas bitingly sharp. The attraction of some of the older lenses is in the character of the out of focus areas. Old lenses are sharp enough away towards the centre wide open, or across the frame stopped down, but not so sharp that they show every blemish in the subject.

My favourite old lens is my Helios-44M-2 58mm f/2, which I bought in 1971 with my first SLR, the Soviet-era 35mm Zenit-B (manual throughout with no exposure meter, £25 all in with lens). These Helios lenses were made in vast quantities for several decades and exported in floods to the West. Good examples are readily available at a very reasonable cost (beware of fungus and sticky focus and aperture mechanisms). They are a Soviet copy of the Carl Zeiss Biotar 6 element double Gauss formula, which was first produced in 1937. The design creates a unique bokeh effect which I love. You can judge for yourself in the sample shots below whether you like it too. Go here for everything you need to know about the Helios 44. Mine was put away in a cupboard unused for 35 years – now it’s on my R6 quite often.

Here is the Helios on my R6:
Helios-3329.jpg Helios-3330.jpg

Other old lenses I own include the Carl Zeiss Jena trilogy: Flektogon 35mm f/2.5, Tessar 50mm f/2.8 and Sonnar 135mm f/3.5; and the Optomax 200mm f/4.5 which makes a good outdoor portrait lens. I’m on the lookout for an original early Zeiss Jena Biotar, ancestor of the Helios. Anyway, here are some samples of shots with the Helios and an image showing it mounted on my R6. For me, the attraction is the way that it renders things, not just in the far background, but immediately out of focus. Check out the quince blossom shots in particular.

Here are sample shots with the Helios, all shot at f/2 or f/2..8:
R_6_3431-2.jpg

Helios-7130.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125

Helios-8050.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1250

Helios-8129.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 640

Last edited:
I have a Helios M44-2 also. It's definitely an interesting lens. Here's a couple pics I took of my daughter with my R6 and the Helios 44-2it back during Christmas.

Attachments

• 9W4A5923-1-2.jpg
    9W4A5923-1-2.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 9W4A5906-1.jpg
    9W4A5906-1.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 9W4A5909-1-3.jpg
    9W4A5909-1-3.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 33
I really enjoy adapted lenses on my R5. I have pretty much a full set of Minolta MD primes from 16 - 200mm that get good use (with film as well as the R5) as well as some exotic others - my son picked up a Praktica kit with some very interesting prime lenses at a car boot the other week for £20 which I'm exploring. The older lenses tend to be less sharp and lack contrast compared to modern lenses, however Lightroom manual lens corrections and the inbuilt IS in the R5 make these lenses viable even for street photography. I can't help but wonder how my MD 200mm is so slim compared to the EF 200. Surely there must be an opening for making smaller primes for the RF system.
Sample image taken with MD 135mm f2.8 as I recall - That's one issue the metadata isn't there....

20220626-20220626-7Y5A2995.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 250

I can't help but wonder how my MD 200mm is so slim compared to the EF 200. Surely there must be an opening for making smaller primes for the RF system.
Sample image taken with MD 135mm f2.8 as I recall - That's one issue the metadata isn't there....
Nice shots from you and JCBigler. I agree re the size of lenses. My Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/3.5 is tiny and almost weightless. Ok it's not f/1.8 and it doesn't have IS but still...

One of the things that going mirrorless has allowed me to do is to use vintage lenses. You can get RF adapters for several different old mounts, for example the M42 screw mount. This allows me to adapt the lenses to work on R bodies. Focusing is manual of course, but the EVF offers a couple of focusing aids (focus peaking and magnification). Aperture setting is also manual on the lens, but exposure can be automatic via Manual with Auto ISO. You’re not going to shoot sport or kids running around this way, but it works well for landscape, still life, flowers and gardens and so on – even street.

Why do it? After all, most vintage lenses don’t have the sharpness and contrast of modern lenses, at least not wide open. One reason to do it is because you can – it adds interest and a different sort of challenge. I like to use old lenses in the same way as I like to wear old watches. Another reason is that some vintage lenses are available at very reasonable cost and work as well as modern lenses in some applications and they are light and small. Vintage lenses are often beautifully made and are a joy to use. For me, the most important aspect is the optical character of the old lenses – especially wide open or nearly wide open they render differently from modern lenses. There is a fashion in modern portrait, wildlife and flower photography to render the background into a smooth featureless blur and to make the in-focus areas bitingly sharp. The attraction of some of the older lenses is in the character of the out of focus areas. Old lenses are sharp enough away towards the centre wide open, or across the frame stopped down, but not so sharp that they show every blemish in the subject.

My favourite old lens is my Helios-44M-2 58mm f/2, which I bought in 1971 with my first SLR, the Soviet-era 35mm Zenit-B (manual throughout with no exposure meter, £25 all in with lens). These Helios lenses were made in vast quantities for several decades and exported in floods to the West. Good examples are readily available at a very reasonable cost (beware of fungus and sticky focus and aperture mechanisms). They are a Soviet copy of the Carl Zeiss Biotar 6 element double Gauss formula, which was first produced in 1937. The design creates a unique bokeh effect which I love. You can judge for yourself in the sample shots below whether you like it too. Go here for everything you need to know about the Helios 44. Mine was put away in a cupboard unused for 35 years – now it’s on my R6 quite often.

Here is the Helios on my R6:
View attachment 14565 View attachment 14566

Other old lenses I own include the Carl Zeiss Jena trilogy: Flektogon 35mm f/2.5, Tessar 50mm f/2.8 and Sonnar 135mm f/3.5; and the Optomax 200mm f/4.5 which makes a good outdoor portrait lens. I’m on the lookout for an original early Zeiss Jena Biotar, ancestor of the Helios. Anyway, here are some samples of shots with the Helios and an image showing it mounted on my R6. For me, the attraction is the way that it renders things, not just in the far background, but immediately out of focus. Check out the quince blossom shots in particular.

Here are sample shots with the Helios, all shot at f/2 or f/2..8:
View attachment 14567

View attachment 14568

View attachment 14569

View attachment 14570
Nice, I use R, FL and FD lenses all the time.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back