Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
Wondering if anyone else has had or heard of pulsing issues when focusing with 3rd party EF mount lenses via the EF-RF adapter?

I primarily got my R7 for use with longer lenses for sports and wildlife. I have an R full frame as well as 2 M5 cameras that I mostly use when traveling. I was testing all my EF lenses today since I just got the camera and found that my Tamron 18-400mm and Sigma 135mm f/1.8 both had trouble finding the focus and just pulsed back and forth and when they did lock on the focus was entirely off. I was using my EF-RF adapter with the adjustment ring so I tried the non adjustable adapter (my backup) and the focus seemed fine. I went back to the adjustable adapter and now the focus works.

So far my other 3rd party lenses work but not sure why I had the pulsing issue. I had even tried turning the camera on and off several times as well as removing and remounting the lens.

I had the tamron 18-300 and had the same issue. It would hunt for focus. I had no real issues with my sigma lenses except I found the 150-600 a little slow in focusing . It was the art version not the sport version.

Well I think I found an answer. I called the nice folks at Tamron service dept and they asked for the serial numbers for my 2 Tamron lenses and after I read them (using a magnifying loupe as the numbers are tiny . They said that I need to do firmware updates. I have the Tamron TAP console and plugged it in while on the phone and it appears that it is not working anymore, no power light came on and the software kept saying "Please attach lens" which I had done.

She said updating new firmware is complimentary except for the shipping, I could send the lenses or maybe just send the TAP console to see if it can be repaired. I'd rather have a working TAP console for any future needs so thanked her and looked online for a used one and an Amazon seller had one for $35; normal price is about $60 so I ordered the used one and will do the firmware upgrade.

Wondering if anyone else has had or heard of pulsing issues when focusing with 3rd party EF mount lenses via the EF-RF adapter?

I primarily got my R7 for use with longer lenses for sports and wildlife. I have an R full frame as well as 2 M5 cameras that I mostly use when traveling. I was testing all my EF lenses today since I just got the camera and found that my Tamron 18-400mm and Sigma 135mm f/1.8 both had trouble finding the focus and just pulsed back and forth and when they did lock on the focus was entirely off. I was using my EF-RF adapter with the adjustment ring so I tried the non adjustable adapter (my backup) and the focus seemed fine. I went back to the adjustable adapter and now the focus works.

So far my other 3rd party lenses work but not sure why I had the pulsing issue. I had even tried turning the camera on and off several times as well as removing and remounting the lens.
Also having issues with the Tamron 18-400 and R7. Similar behavior. Did you find any solution? All firmware versions of lens and body are up to date...

Not yet and for me it is sporadic. Pulses sometimes and works fine other times. I own the Tamron Lens Doc but when I attach it to the computer and then mount the lens and open the Tamron program it just says I need to attach the lens, doesn't seem to recognize it being attached. I don't think it's the lens doc as I attached my Tamron 150-600mm and it said that my firmware was up to date. I think I will send the lens to Tamron, it's still under warranty. I'm suspecting something in the contacts or maybe the circuitry inside the lens. I will post when I get it back.

To get my Sigma 60-600mm lens to work properly on the r5 I had to update the firmware on both camera and lens. Once I did that they were happy together. Amazing fast focus and sharp to my eyes.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back