JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
I bought my R6 Mark 2 as a kit configured with the 24-105 F4-7.1 STM at the end of July 2023. Since the time I've added a few extra lenses: RF 50mm F1.8 STM, RF 85mm F2 STM, RF 70-200 F4 L USM, and EF 16-25 F2.8 L II USM. The 24-105 STM gets the least amount of use. That being said, I have taken some very nice photos with it over the past several months. It is best used outdoors, however I ave had success using it indoors with and without a flash, and at night. I find it to be very sharp, even if it relies on heavy correction.

The biggest thing I find useful about the lens is its extremely light weight. As a travel lens I think this lens has a lot of promise, even though it lacks weather sealing. I definitely think this lens was designed with the casual JPEG shooter in mind. I have been impressed with the lens' performance, generally. I find it useful, for the most part. I think I'll replace it with the F4 L version, but it seems like a solid lens for the price/convenience. I do think Canon is relying on users shooting in JPEG and taking advantage of the Canon processor's capabilities. I attached a photo I took, SOOC, using that lens, shot in JPEG with zero editing. Even at the high ISO on 25,600 I think the image is acceptable, especially for non-professional use.
IMG_4622.JPG
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM
  • 48.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 25600

I had the 24-104 f/4-7.1 when I first got my R6. But eventually sold it and got the f/4 IS USM version which which better and not that much bigger or heavier. I think you'll be happier with the f/4 version. Or better yet get the 24-70 f/2.8.

I picked up a 24-104 f/4-7.1 as my second lens, after starting with the 50mm f/1.8. Lately, it's fallen out of favour with me, because I'm doing most of my photography indoors during the winter, and have been sticking to faster primes. In the warmer months though, when I would more frequently be outside with my camera, I found it a wonderful walking-around lens - light and versatile. I've taken some of my favourite photos with it. It balances really nicely on my R8, and meets all my needs. Lenses like this one - inexpensive and useful/practical - are what pulled me away from a Nikon DSLR to the Canon mirrorless system. I think one thing that Canon doesn't get a lot of credit for is making a robust line of high-quality non-L lenses at a pretty reasonable price. For an enthusiastic hobbyist like myself, it allows me access to a more diverse set of lenses without killing my budget. Thanks for highlighting this great little lens. It doesn't get a lot of love that I see, but I've enjoyed having mine more than I expected I would, and never really feel like I compromised too heavily by going for the cheaper, non-L 24-105 variant.

…I think one thing that Canon doesn't get a lot of credit for is making a robust line of high-quality non-L lenses at a pretty reasonable price. For an enthusiastic hobbyist like myself, it allows me access to a more diverse set of lenses without killing my budget.
I do agree with this statement. The only criticism I have of Canon is their choice of maximum aperture on the non-L zooms. They are leaning heavily on processor power and noise reduction software to create useable images, albeit that software works very well.

I had the 24-105 F4-7.1 STM and loved it. It was perfect for outdoors pics. I would have kept it but I'm shooting some indoor sports and needed the faster f/4 IS USM version.

Had the 24-105 F4-7.1 as it was kit lens that came with my R6. I upgraded to the F4L , as i had the EF version of this lens on my 80D and was very happy with it. The RF F4 version is an excellent walkabout lens as has been previously stated

I've been really impressed by the IQ of the 24-105 STM version but have both it and the L. Aside from my recent issue with the STM version 'sticking' when zooming the IQ is great.

I tried a simple test, nothing much but took a picture of my front door (yes, it needs painting) and brickwork ... one with the STM and one with the L. JPEG and not adjusted in any way. Pics are 100% crop screenshot from LR.

Now, I know the light is good but it does show the STM is a good little lens IMO.
Image 27-03-2024 at 16.45.JPG
Image 27-03-2024 at 16.54.JPG

I am going to give it a whirl in my small home studio stopped down to F8. I think I’m not using the lens enough and it’s more capable than it appears. I do have to say, and this has been stated before, Canon’s choice to really sacrifice aperture for overall lens size to the extent they did with this lens is a bit of a head scratcher.

Update, stopping this lens down makes for a nice studio lens. I back lit him with bare Godox TT685 using blue and green gels and put a reflector in front of him. Edited in Lightroom mobile on my iPhone.
IMG_5107.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 125

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back