Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Paul
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
After pining for a 2x extender for a while, to pair with my RF 100-400, I found one used on eBay that was the least expensive I'd seen yet, and I went for it. So far, I'm enjoying it, though I haven't had that many circumstances come up in the couple of weeks since I got it where I really wanted to use it. I've attached a couple of photos taken with this combo on my R8, one of the moon (a significant crop from a wider field of view, leaving a 1500x1500px image) and one of a woodpecker that briefly hung out on a hydro pole on my street (I'm definitely not a wildlife photographer). Both of these were shot handheld. The combo handles nicely, as the densest part of the setup is the extender itself, which makes balancing the whole thing pretty comfortable. I'm adapting to the reduced AF area in the viewfinder, and autofocus in general is not as fast or confident as without the extender, but that was all expected as predictable compromises when using a teleconverter.
20240221Moon.jpg
  • Canon EOS R8
  • RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM + EXTENDER RF2x
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/20
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 1000

IMG_3800R.jpg
  • Canon EOS R8
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 2000

The quality, to my hobbyist eye, is totally acceptable! I'm really happy with the images I've been creating and the freedom of that level of reach. Can't wait to try it on a sunny day at an airshow.

One other benefit is the macro performance of this combo. I've gotten into using the 100-400mm for pseudo-macro photography, as its minimum focus distance at 400mm allows one to get pretty close to the subject, giving a 0.41x magnification level. With the extender maintaining this same minimum focus distance, the magnification level is 0.82x, as I understand it. Granted, maximum aperture is then f/16, so light is a problem, but if it's a stationary subject and you have it well lit with the camera on a tripod, you can get some really great results, especially with the R8's built-in focus stacking function. Here's a focus-stacked closeup of a piece of driveway gravel (don't ask - it was a joke for a friend) that turned out great, in my opinion. I didn't even have to use full magnification - it would have been too close to fit the entire stone comfortably in frame.
IMG_3469full.jpg
  • Canon EOS R8
  • 671.0 mm
  • ƒ/40
  • 8/10 sec
  • ISO 100

So, I hope you've enjoyed or taken something positive away from my impressions of this lens/teleconverter/body combo. It's one I was interested in for quite some time after acquiring my R8, but I wanted to wait until the right deals came along. There wasn't much in the way of useful user impressions of the lens and extender, aside from "buy a WAY more expensive L-series prime instead" or "just get closer." Not everyone's life lets them spend as much as they'd like on their gear, and nor can you necessarily get closer to certain subjects (such as objects in flight, or I dunno, THE MOON). I'm really pleased with the performance and versatility offered by this combo at a relatively modest, though still substantial, price point. I'll certainly have more interesting or polished images to share in the future, but I felt like sharing my excitement now, so 🤷‍♂️.

Thanks for sharing your opinion with us.
Of course! The thing I've enjoyed most about this forum since joining is hearing from others about what they shoot with, how they use it, and seeing some of their creations. I'm always happy to share.

After pining for a 2x extender for a while, to pair with my RF 100-400, I found one used on eBay that was the least expensive I'd seen yet, and I went for it. So far, I'm enjoying it, though I haven't had that many circumstances come up in the couple of weeks since I got it where I really wanted to use it. I've attached a couple of photos taken with this combo on my R8, one of the moon (a significant crop from a wider field of view, leaving a 1500x1500px image) and one of a woodpecker that briefly hung out on a hydro pole on my street (I'm definitely not a wildlife photographer). Both of these were shot handheld. The combo handles nicely, as the densest part of the setup is the extender itself, which makes balancing the whole thing pretty comfortable. I'm adapting to the reduced AF area in the viewfinder, and autofocus in general is not as fast or confident as without the extender, but that was all expected as predictable compromises when using a teleconverter.
View attachment 26098
View attachment 26099
The quality, to my hobbyist eye, is totally acceptable! I'm really happy with the images I've been creating and the freedom of that level of reach. Can't wait to try it on a sunny day at an airshow.

One other benefit is the macro performance of this combo. I've gotten into using the 100-400mm for pseudo-macro photography, as its minimum focus distance at 400mm allows one to get pretty close to the subject, giving a 0.41x magnification level. With the extender maintaining this same minimum focus distance, the magnification level is 0.82x, as I understand it. Granted, maximum aperture is then f/16, so light is a problem, but if it's a stationary subject and you have it well lit with the camera on a tripod, you can get some really great results, especially with the R8's built-in focus stacking function. Here's a focus-stacked closeup of a piece of driveway gravel (don't ask - it was a joke for a friend) that turned out great, in my opinion. I didn't even have to use full magnification - it would have been too close to fit the entire stone comfortably in frame.
View attachment 26100
So, I hope you've enjoyed or taken something positive away from my impressions of this lens/teleconverter/body combo. It's one I was interested in for quite some time after acquiring my R8, but I wanted to wait until the right deals came along. There wasn't much in the way of useful user impressions of the lens and extender, aside from "buy a WAY more expensive L-series prime instead" or "just get closer." Not everyone's life lets them spend as much as they'd like on their gear, and nor can you necessarily get closer to certain subjects (such as objects in flight, or I dunno, THE MOON). I'm really pleased with the performance and versatility offered by this combo at a relatively modest, though still substantial, price point. I'll certainly have more interesting or polished images to share in the future, but I felt like sharing my excitement now, so 🤷‍♂️.
You just need to photoshop a small image of yourself climbing the piece of gravel and you can be an instant mountaineer. Now that's what you call rock climbing. :)

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back