Let's talk about eclipse photography

Someone help me. I’ve gone deep down the rabbit hole of star trackers. I’ve got some wicked GAS going on now and I don’t think my wife is going to be happy. 😬
There are some really good comparison videos on the “U-toobs”. A couple of those that I follow are Alyn Wallace and The Light Explorer. I havent decided yet but in comparing the supposed “easy entry-level” offerings from Move Shoot Move )MSM, Nomad) I am moving towards the more complete solutions from Sky Watcher and IOptron. By time I add in the bits and bobs to flesh out the MSM the price is about the same. The weight savings don’t mean much to me because I am unlikely to want to haul kit any great distances.

Thoughts on the Benro Polaris Astro?

Seems like on paper it should be a great product, but sounds like the app control is somewhat buggy.

I'm nervous about removing the ND filter. When I first read that in an article, I thought it was a mistake, but seen it enough times to know its a thing. Has anyone done this and what is your trust level in the safety of the camera sensor?

I plan on using my R5 with RF 100-500 without the 1.4ex. I have a 18 stop solar filter.

I removed it during the eclipse, same time as I removed my safety glasses

You can remove the solar filter during totality. The sun itself will be totally obscured by the moon during totality and is safe for viewing by the naked eye and wont damage your camera sensor. But you need to put it back on once totality ends and the sun starts being visible again.

There are various apps out there have audible count down reminders about when it is safe to view without solar glasses/filters.

Also, remember that you need to have the solar filter at the front of the lens, before the glass. Using a solar filter in front of the camera sensor can still damage the sensor as the glass in the lens will magnify the light coming in. You want to filter the sun before it hits the first set of lenses, not after.

Solar glasses and filters need to conform to the the ISO 12312-2 standard. Using an ND-whatever, or stacked ND filters, or welding glasses may not provide adequate protection. If your willing to trash an expensive camera for it. That's on you. But don't take chances with your eyes. Solar glasses are cheap and plentiful. Just use them and be safe.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back