JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
Tomorrow I have the privilege of being a guest photographer for my local American Hockey League team. The arena is relatively well lit, using modern LED lighting, though I’ve never photographed there before.

I’m using an R6 Mk2 with an RF 70-200 F4 L IS USM as the primary lens. I am also packing an EF 16-35 F2.8 L II USM that I’ve thought about putting on my Canon T3, though I’m not sure 6400 ISO will be high enough, so I may leave it home and just swap lenses on the R6 Mk2. I’ve thought about brining my RF 50 F1.8 STM since it’s small and the image quality at 1.8 is pretty darn good. If I bring the 50 the T3 probably stays home.

Any editing in between periods will be done in LR on a 9th generation 10 inch iPad. I’m going to stuff it all into a 6L Peak Design Everyday Sling bag with extra batteries, SD cards, etc. not brining any flash equipment.

Thoughts? Things I should consider changing? No, an F2.8 70-200 is not an option. The other lens I have that would be suitable is the RF 85 F2 STM, but I won’t be able to fit that unless I strap a small LowePro 140 onto my sling bag.

Bring your 85 f/2! Get a bigger backpack.
I was able to connect a LowePro 140 AW to the strap to carry the T3 with 16-35 so I was able to squeeze in the 50 AND 85! I’m going to check out PD’s everyday backpacks. I really like how well made and engineered their stuff is.

I was able to connect a LowePro 140 AW to the strap to carry the T3 with 16-35 so I was able to squeeze in the 50 AND 85! I’m going to check out PD’s everyday backpacks. I really like how well made and engineered their stuff is.
I use a Mindshift backpack. It's very customizable and comfortable.

I have to vote for the 85mm f/2 as well, since you normally need at least +1EV for all the white out there. Consider using Topaz or equivalent to deal with the noise from higher ISO - I have had very good luck with it for hockey. The state of the plexiglass around the rink is also a factor. Most of my recent photos used ISO 2500-4000 using 70-200 f/2.8, EV+1 1/3, @ 1/800 since mine were kids. I found I needed 1/1000 for adults. Good luck and have fun - hockey is great to shoot.

Last edited:
I don't understand that business about editing between periods using an iPad. It seems to be you'll be using an inferior tool for some rush edits so I ask, why the rush edits? Why not wait until you're at home (or wherever) when you can use better tools at your leisure?

Because sports is a news event that has to be put out quickly. If you wait, the newness wears off and the interest of the public wanes. As it turned out, I was able to shoot at ISO3200 and noise reduction wasn’t warranted.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back