JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
I have settled in to portrait/headshot and creative photography as my niche. I do some events and might try some sports since I’m an athlete. I don’t want drop $10k on lenses (I can’t justify that), and I think this might cover the bases fairly well. Interested to hear the thoughts on this.

-RF 50 1.2 (I use the RF 50 1.8 right now)
-RF 85 1.2 DS (I use the RF 85 2 right now)
-EF or RF 24-105 F/4 or EF 24-70 F/4 (I use the kit RF 24-105 STM right now. The images are great, even bumping ISO, but I want more DoF)
-EF or RF 70-200 F/4 (I don’t have one right now, probably EF L USM to save cash.)

I’m leaning EF for the zooms because I could probably find both in F/4 for under $1500. I think the F/4s would compliment the fast 50 and 85 for events. Thoughts?

70-200 F2.8 is not an option? Especially the EF version can be found cheap and it's great for many sports. Can be used for portraits too.

It’s just that they start right around $750-800 for L USM used models. The two RF lenses are close to $5k. I can find EF 70-200 F/4 L USM lenses in good condition for under $500.

F4 vs F2.8 is big difference in sports though, I would seriously consider upgrading that one. Nobody ever regretted going for 2.8 if possible.

On other comments, I'd say stay away from EF 24-105 F4. It's one of the softest L lenses I've used. The 24-70 F4 is much sharper. Used to have that one too.

Personally I'm not fan of 50mm lenses. I have 85 DS for portraits and it's amazing. For wider I have 28-70. I've had some 50mm lenses but I never learned how to get proper shots with them, always had better luck with 85 or 30/35.

Update to this thread. I just found out I’m going to get creds for an AHL game this year (hopefully turns into a continuous thing…) I am leaning toward a 2.8, but I really can’t afford or justify the cost. I could save a little bit by buying a used EF lens, but I still have to go mark 2 or better to take advantage of H+ continuous mode. I watched the Fro use the RF F4 70-200 in a normal municipal arena and he was able to get shots at 1/1000, f/4 and iso 5000 on the R5. I have to think in a pro arena I could probably do the same at 5000 or a little better. I have a bad left shoulder injury and the weight/size savings of the F4 might be handy. I suppose I could always sell if for a slight loss if hockey photography turns into a continuous thing and I decide I need the 2.8…ugh photography just has to be so expensive 😂

Update to this thread. I just found out I’m going to get creds for an AHL game this year (hopefully turns into a continuous thing…) I am leaning toward a 2.8, but I really can’t afford or justify the cost. I could save a little bit by buying a used EF lens, but I still have to go mark 2 or better to take advantage of H+ continuous mode. I watched the Fro use the RF F4 70-200 in a normal municipal arena and he was able to get shots at 1/1000, f/4 and iso 5000 on the R5. I have to think in a pro arena I could probably do the same at 5000 or a little better. I have a bad left shoulder injury and the weight/size savings of the F4 might be handy. I suppose I could always sell if for a slight loss if hockey photography turns into a continuous thing and I decide I need the 2.8…ugh photography just has to be so expensive 😂
Have you considered renting a lens (or two) from the selection that you're considering? You could use them at the game to see which is best suited to your needs...

I looked into it, but since the game is unpaid the rental prices are too high. I have the 70-200 F4 and EF 16-35 F2.8 L II USM.

I’ve been doing some experimenting of my own recently and I am finding zero reason to be afraid of higher ISO values with the R6 Mark 2. When I say high, I mean high.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back