Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
I'm a gear nut I guess, have way too many cameras and lenses and accessories. A couple of years ago I picked up a refurbished Canon EF-s 24mm f/2.8 pancake lens for around $90 at the Canon storefront. I also own the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake and like it when we are out and about at night where f/2.8 is a good choice and the pancake lenses are sort of discreet being so small. However, I didn't shoot with the 24mm that much, at the time my only Canon APS-C camera was my 7D MkII which almost always had a long telephoto on it.

On this trip to Provence I took both my Canon R and R7 so I figured the small lightweight 24mm would be good, even though I had to add the EF-RF adapter.

Low and behold I did use it a lot but mostly on the full frame R. The focal length was perfect for a lot of shots such as in the open air markets, pictures of food we had in restaurants and wide angle shots where I felt my RF 16mm was too wide. The best part is that I had no vignetting in the corners which is more typical when you put a crop sensor lens on a full frame body. Not sure if it is due to the design of mirrorless cameras not having the prism which changes the distance from the rear element to the sensor.

I do not have any experience with a full frame Canon using a APS-C lens but I have done that in a Sony Full frame camera and what happens is that the camera sense the lens and switch to cropped mode with none or little vignetting. It's like they handle that in the firmware correcting or cropping what is needed to do not get vignetting. That's what I think anyway.

That EF-s 24 is a great little lens. I've tried it on an R7 and was very pleased with the results.

The full frame RF cameras automatically switch to crop mode when using a Canon APS-C lens. So you're basically turning the R into an 12mp APS-C camera, and the EF-S 24 will have roughly the same FOV as the 40mm using the full frame. But 12mp is plenty for many purposes so if you're traveling with both cameras you have set of dual FOV lenses. Might save some weight or it might make you crazy keeping things straight.

The switch to crop mode isn't automatic with some third-party lenses. So you will see some serious vignetting if you don't switch.

That EF-s 24 is a great little lens. I've tried it on an R7 and was very pleased with the results.

The full frame RF cameras automatically switch to crop mode when using a Canon APS-C lens. So you're basically turning the R into an 12mp APS-C camera, and the EF-S 24 will have roughly the same FOV as the 40mm using the full frame. But 12mp is plenty for many purposes so if you're traveling with both cameras you have set of dual FOV lenses. Might save some weight or it might make you crazy keeping things straight.

The switch to crop mode isn't automatic with some third-party lenses. So you will see some serious vignetting if you don't switch.
Well darn, learn something every day!

I was out and about with my R5 and a Sigma 18 - 250 thinking. Ahh, got everything covered with this focal range. Having only just bought my R5 and not knowing I could switch to crop mode, most of my pictures up the short end had massive vignetting. It was the only lens I had with me that so I had some serious cropping to do once I got home.
KERL4856.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 37.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/400 sec

this is how most came out. The R5 didn't pick the APS-C aspect of the Sigma lens. I have yet to try it with my Canon APS-C lenses.

Just tried the EF-S 24 on my R5 and RP. Automatic 1.6 crop and tall of the other aspect ratios are all grayed out in the menu. So no accidental round borders with Canon lenses. The older I get the more I value features like that.

Just tried the EF-S 24 on my R5 and RP. Automatic 1.6 crop and tall of the other aspect ratios are all grayed out in the menu. So no accidental round borders with Canon lenses. The older I get the more I value features like that.
Yep, Ken, I just put my Canon EF-S 18-35 on and yes it recognised it and I have no circular vignetting at all. Camera 1 on the menu even shows cropping Aspect Ratio is 1.6 automatically with no input from me.

I love my EFS 17-55 2.8 paired with the R7. I need to try this Lens with the R5. The EF 24-70 2.8 Great lens, but super heavy. This could be fun. Rj

I love my EFS 17-55 2.8 paired with the R7. I need to try this Lens with the R5. The EF 24-70 2.8 Great lens, but super heavy. This could be fun. Rj
Hi Ricky ... I am about to buy a EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM to use as the "main" standard lens on my R7 (and, perhaps, on my R6 Mk2 if it works out!). Sounds like you would recommend that combination, correct? How about pairing the EF-S 10-18mm with the R7?

Dave

Using my RF 28 f/2.8 pancake as my walk-around lens - the R7 has high enough pixel density to use it as a zoom by cropping!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back