Anyone Have Experience with these Ef-S Lenses Adapted to R-Series Bodies?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Dave Noordhoff

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Noordhoff
City/State
Ontario
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
After enjoying my R6Mk2 for several months, I have just purchased a R7.
Now I'm thinking of buying two Ef-s lenses (used) to complement this new camera ... a Canon Ef-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM and a Ef-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.
I would be using Canon Control Ring EF-RF adaptors to use these lenses on my R7.
Does anyone have experience with either of these lenses? I am especially interested in anyone who shoots video with his R-series and the Ef-S 17-55mm.
Back in my days owning Canon Rebels and the 40D & 50D bodies I owned a Ef-S 17-55mm and have good memories of it. Do you think my positive remembrances are colouring my judgement? Thanks for your input!

Dave

I had the 17-55mm/2.8 and found its AF to be unreliable at longer distances. It is quite an old design now. The more recent kit EF 18-55mm lenses were just as sharp or sharper IMO. So unless you need a wide aperture, I would avoid it. Why not buy an RF lens? Using an adapter is awkward unless you have one for each EF lens, and that is expensive.

If every lens you have is EF, it's simple. The adapter just lives on the camera.

No experience with those particular lenses. I often have the 1-55 on my R7, though. I have, though, been looking at UWA recently, to the point that there is an RF-S 10-18 sitting in my B&H cart. But I'm hesitant... Bryan's review of it isn't so glowing. He indicates it's meh on the IQ but the convenience makes up for it. Maybe. It sure is small, though. The EF-S 10-18 plus the adapter is twice the length.

As for the 17-55, I don't think there is an RF equivalent for that. Canon does not seem to care about wide RF-S lenses yet.

When the power is off, I don't see it making any difference. I basically never take the adapters off my cameras.

When the power is off, I don't see it making any difference. I basically never take the adapters off my cameras.
Makes sense I guess.... but then why does Canon say mount the lens first? They are very definite about it.

Also note that Off nowadays doesn't mean the same as Off in the olden days. The camera isn't powered down when you turn it off.

I don't know how seriously Canon meant those exact words. As far as I know, whenever you open the battery or card doors, the camera really does turn off. What are we supposed to do then, unmount the lens and adapter and start over so it has the magic order right? I don't know, but I don't seem to be experiencing any adverse effects from what I'm doing.

FWIW I always turn the power switch off before changing lenses so that the IS parks itself.

I don't know the answers to your questions. You could probably leave the camera on the whole time and it would be fine.

What does Canon know about it anyway? :p

Well, leaving it on the whole time can leave the IS elements floating when you remove a lens and I don't want that. With DSLRs the IS shuts down right after you lift, but with RF it tends to stay active much longer.

More importantly, you want the shutter to close to protect the sensor.

There are lots of things you can get away with, but following directions is probably safer in the long run.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back