Birds Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM And 1,4 extender

Daugaard

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Hfk
Helle.
Has anyone tried using Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM with 1,4 extender? This combination gives a Max Aperture of 11. Will it work ok with an R10 camera?
I know that it requires a relatively high iso
Holger Daugaard

Lens version 2? Yes I have used both the EF 1.4 and 2x with that lens and an R. . It would have to be the EF 1.4 as there is no way to adapt the RF extender to the lens itself. There is work around for the RF extender. Some have removed some material inside the adapter so the front extension of the RF TC fits into it.

I've tried it and it gets decent results. You want good light, obviously. I have the 100-500mm as well, so it doesn't get a lot of play, but it's nice to have the flexibility of the full range with the extender (140-560mm) vs. from 300-500mm on the bigger lens. For a person on a budget it's a nice compromise. I have no experience with the R10, so I can't comment on how it performs with it, but I have the R7 and while it you get some nice added reach, the focus lock can get wonky in just OK light at f11, so it may not be ideal all the time. For the cost of the TC vs. maybe the 600mm or 800mm f11 the longer primes may be the more consistent option.

3 pics in my gallery you can look at.
With today's magic software I wouldn't worry too much about high ISO.

3 pics in my gallery you can look at.
With today's magic software I wouldn't worry too much about high ISO.
Good point. I was wondering about that too. Do I really need a $12,000 to $16,000 f/4 lens these days? I have have great results at ISO 16000. Bokeh looks pretty good even at f/11 and there is software and plugins for that these days.

I'm OK with AI noise reduction but not sure about adding Bokeh. An F4 lens is the real deal but I doubt I'd add generated bokeh. I try to keep PP as minimal as possible.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back