Canon R7 My R7 arrived and surprised me.

dougsmit

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Douglas Smith
I got a couple surprises today. I ordered the R7 kit July 4 from Amazon US (before they raised the price) and they estimated delivery next Wednesday, July 20. When I got my mail this afternoon, there was a box in the regular mailbox (we have a big one) delivered without signature along with the usual ads etc. That is a week early. That was a nice surprise. The box did not seem as big as I was expecting but, on opening, I found the regular Canon box inside an Amazon box without a single shread of additional protective packaging. See the picture:

1Z4A0001.JPG
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 47.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

Everything was in good shape and there were no dents in the box at all. I guess Amazon has figured that they can eat a few damaged cameras to save on postage. It came USPS rather than by Amazon truck. All that really matters is that it made it intact.

By the time I had battery power, it was too late to shoot much and I had not yet set up the thousand options needed to make it 'mine' so I just shot throwaway snaps with the 18-150 RF-S kit lens. It surprised me greatly since the minimum focus distance at 18mm fills the frame with something a bit over 50mm wide at about that same distance from the front glass. Remember the MFD listing of 0.17m is measured from the film plane, not from the front glass. Set at 150mm, the MFD is 0.45m which produces a coverage not quite but almost as small as the wide one. An 18mm 1:2 (or close) semi-macro is not a feature I recall hearing reviewed. I only have one image to show taken of the one and only bloom I had on my porch from out Passionflower vine. It was taken at 18mm f/9 (AV) ISO 400. This gives a rather different macro look than the usual 100mm or even the 35mm macro. Here I append a crop from the full image below the uncropped but reduced to Internet friendly 2048 pixel version. (See the hitchhiker?) In all honesty I will still be mostly using the 100mm macro for flowers in most cases but I have done fisheye macros with my old, old EF-S gear fifteen years ago. Quality? This is a crop sensor and f/9 with 'bellows factor' diffraction will be creeping in do some degree. When I have finished setting up the options, I hope to try out the R7 with my real EF 100mm macro and, knowing me, trying extension tubes with every lens I have. For now, all I have to show is this one:
001Z4A0019inset.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 400

I got a couple surprises today. I ordered the R7 kit July 4 from Amazon US (before they raised the price) and they estimated delivery next Wednesday, July 20. When I got my mail this afternoon, there was a box in the regular mailbox (we have a big one) delivered without signature along with the usual ads etc. That is a week early. That was a nice surprise. The box did not seem as big as I was expecting but, on opening, I found the regular Canon box inside an Amazon box without a single shread of additional protective packaging. See the picture:

View attachment 9658

Everything was in good shape and there were no dents in the box at all. I guess Amazon has figured that they can eat a few damaged cameras to save on postage. It came USPS rather than by Amazon truck. All that really matters is that it made it intact.

By the time I had battery power, it was too late to shoot much and I had not yet set up the thousand options needed to make it 'mine' so I just shot throwaway snaps with the 18-150 RF-S kit lens. It surprised me greatly since the minimum focus distance at 18mm fills the frame with something a bit over 50mm wide at about that same distance from the front glass. Remember the MFD listing of 0.17m is measured from the film plane, not from the front glass. Set at 150mm, the MFD is 0.45m which produces a coverage not quite but almost as small as the wide one. An 18mm 1:2 (or close) semi-macro is not a feature I recall hearing reviewed. I only have one image to show taken of the one and only bloom I had on my porch from out Passionflower vine. It was taken at 18mm f/9 (AV) ISO 400. This gives a rather different macro look than the usual 100mm or even the 35mm macro. Here I append a crop from the full image below the uncropped but reduced to Internet friendly 2048 pixel version. (See the hitchhiker?) In all honesty I will still be mostly using the 100mm macro for flowers in most cases but I have done fisheye macros with my old, old EF-S gear fifteen years ago. Quality? This is a crop sensor and f/9 with 'bellows factor' diffraction will be creeping in do some degree. When I have finished setting up the options, I hope to try out the R7 with my real EF 100mm macro and, knowing me, trying extension tubes with every lens I have. For now, all I have to show is this one:
View attachment 9659
Looks good to me. I like the 18-150 that came with my camera. You are not kidding about 1,000 settings!! I’ve been so busy messing with the long lenses I totally forgot about trying some macros. Something to try tomorrow!!

Congrats on your new camera and on the wonderful shot. I'm amazed at the image quality of each and every RF lens, and it seems that there is not a "bad" one in the lot. The image quality is stunning!

Congratulations on the new camera! That’s so fun!! And also beautiful shots of the Passion Fruit flower!

And like MikeZ, I am still continually amazed to see the quality of images from every RF lens.

There are two kinds of image quality. We always hear about high resolution and 'good glass' but more important is a camera that allows you to use that glass to make an image that is in focus and otherwise technically acceptable. I did not buy the R7 for the sensor nearly as much as for the focus system and other features that will make the most out of the lenses I have or am likely to get (that means no $13k glass). My first shot with the 18-150 at 150 struck me as soft. Has anyone else here tried that? I had no intention of buying the kit but Canon chose to restrict the availability of body only sales and the kit was available. I was happy with it in the shorter end but need to try more at the long to see if it is me or the lens that failed at first.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back