Boston Public Library

dgphoto8

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Don
We had the opportunity to visit the Boston Public Library after dropping off a care package for our daughter who goes to school in the city and is doing a co-op/internship this summer. The BPL McKim Building was constructed between 1888 and 1895 and incorporates interesting artwork and structural details that I did not appreciate when visiting the library in my teens when researching/writing high school reports... I recently found out while doing genealogical research that a 3rd great uncle was the chief engineer of the library during construction and operation, incorporating architectural design features such as passages behind walls to ensure temperature and humidity equilibration in front of and behind the artwork.
The building has a grand staircase that is adorned with murals painted by French painter Pierre Puvis de Chavannes. The view from the center landing is below and shows two Lion statues dedicated to two Massachusetts Infantry companies who volunteered to fight in the American Civil War. The large mural on the second floor is Purvis's The Muses of Inspiration Welcoming the Spirit of Light.
20230520_9166-9170_HDR_TDN.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • ISO 1600

The view from the 2nd floor is shown below. My 14 mm UWA cannot capture a photo of all the artwork adorning the staircase.
20230520_9236-9240_HDR_TDN.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • ISO 1600

The eight murals in the staircase represented different disciplines that could be pursued in the library. The four murals below represent (l to r) Philosophy, Astronomy, History, and Chemistry.
20230520_9204.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 23.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 1600

The other wall contains murals for Physics, Pastoral Poetry, Dramatic Poetry, and Epic Poetry.
20230520_9194.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 1600

At the top of the staircase is the library's main reading room, Bates Hall. It is an impressive room with a 50-foot high barrel vault ceiling.
20230520_9261-9266_HDR_TDN.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • ISO 1600

Attachments

• 20230520_9204.jpg
    20230520_9204.jpg
    946.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230520_9194.jpg
    20230520_9194.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 30
Such a magnificent library!

We had the opportunity to visit the Boston Public Library after dropping off a care package for our daughter who goes to school in the city and is doing a co-op/internship this summer. The BPL McKim Building was constructed between 1888 and 1895 and incorporates interesting artwork and structural details that I did not appreciate when visiting the library in my teens when researching/writing high school reports... I recently found out while doing genealogical research that a 3rd great uncle was the chief engineer of the library during construction and operation, incorporating architectural design features such as passages behind walls to ensure temperature and humidity equilibration in front of and behind the artwork.
The building has a grand staircase that is adorned with murals painted by French painter Pierre Puvis de Chavannes. The view from the center landing is below and shows two Lion statues dedicated to two Massachusetts Infantry companies who volunteered to fight in the American Civil War. The large mural on the second floor is Purvis's The Muses of Inspiration Welcoming the Spirit of Light.
View attachment 16314

The view from the 2nd floor is shown below. My 14 mm UWA cannot capture a photo of all the artwork adorning the staircase.
View attachment 16315

The eight murals in the staircase represented different disciplines that could be pursued in the library. The four murals below represent (l to r) Philosophy, Astronomy, History, and Chemistry.
View attachment 16319
The other wall contains murals for Physics, Pastoral Poetry, Dramatic Poetry, and Epic Poetry.
View attachment 16320
At the top of the staircase is the library's main reading room, Bates Hall. It is an impressive room with a 50-foot high barrel vault ceiling.
View attachment 16318
Wow!!! Beautiful captures of a beautiful building!👍👍

I've been there, and agree; very photogenic. Love the shots.

Great photos, and a truly spectacular building.

They are all very interesting but I am partial to the view from the 2nd floor.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back