Canon R3 Focus Bracketing Keeps Resetting

Japeg

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake
When I enable auto focus bracketing, and take a series of shots, I find I have to dive back into the menus and set it up again. Otherwise the camera reverts back to whatever stills settings I had prior to enabling the auto focus bracketing.

If it matters, I’m using an R3

Focus bracketing is not a persistent setting. If you power down, or maybe even the camera just goes to sleep, it will turn off.
Thank you. Frustrating that it’s not persistent. One of those times when Canon figures it knows what I need better than I do.

The manual describes it not being persistent. Personally I'm fine with it, as FB is for me a specialized use and I have my sleep timeout set to very long or disabled. You can disable sleep, which may help, but once you turn the power switch it will reset no matter what.

You should be able to set it as a custom button i.e. mfn2 at least you can turn it on with a single press instead of going through the menu.

You should be able to set it as a custom button i.e. mfn2 at least you can turn it on with a single press instead of going through the menu.
Thanks for the reminder. Hate having to burn a C_ mode for it, but I may do so. Generally speaking all my programmable buttons are already spoken for (especially on the bodies without integrated vertical grips).

IMHO the focus bracketing of our Canon cameras is a very nice feature, indeed. Yet, I don't mind the reset once a series of FB shots are taken. Just imagine forgetting to do the reset manually, continue "normal" shooting and the FB is still engaged. Honestly, how many time do we need to do or repeat FB in a series? To me Canon's logic makes pretty much sense. YMMV. :)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back