Canon R5 Canon R5 Focus Issues

Suzq

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Susan Biesele
I recently purchased the R5. I set the default AF to be One Shot AF, AF Face Tracking, Subject to detect: people. And this works great most of the time, with or without a person in the frame. But when it doesn't --- I found it cumbersome to open up the menu and adjust all the settings. I finally figured out that I could hit the button on the back top right, then the M-Fn button on top, to bring up a menu in the viewfinder where I could select a different focus selection, then use the toggle button on the back to move my focus point to where I wanted it in my frame (much easier). Just wondering --- did I stumble into the correct way, or is there perhaps a simpler way?

I have an R6. I use Back Button Focus, but I have 2 buttons set up for focus. The first, the "AF-On" button is set for single point AF, and the second, the "*" button is set for Eye Detect AF. That way you can instantly swap between the 2 focus methods, so if Eye AF is not hitting where you want, you can just jump to single point Af and get focus on whatever you are centered on. This is very handy for things like birds in trees, where the Eye AF sometimes gets lost on branches. Note, I also have the joystick press action set to recenter the focus point, so if it is off center for some reason, a press of the joystick will bring the focus point back to center.

Thank you! I will look in the manual to see how to set that up. It sounds like a perfect solution. I haven’t figured out how to set up “buttons” yet.

I have an R6. I use Back Button Focus, but I have 2 buttons set up for focus. The first, the "AF-On" button is set for single point AF, and the second, the "*" button is set for Eye Detect AF. That way you can instantly swap between the 2 focus methods, so if Eye AF is not hitting where you want, you can just jump to single point Af and get focus on whatever you are centered on. This is very handy for things like birds in trees, where the Eye AF sometimes gets lost on branches. Note, I also have the joystick press action set to recenter the focus point, so if it is off center for some reason, a press of the joystick will bring the focus point back to center.
Thanks for this tip. I googled and watched several videos on setting up back focusing. I love it so far. I set the AF-on button to do spot focusing (it's easy to move my left thumb around on the screen to get it where I want while looking through the viewer. If I want to do face detect, I push the "*" to the right of it - and "poof" it detects a face and follows it. This tip has really helped -- thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thanks for this tip. I googled and watched several videos on setting up back focusing. I love it so far. I set the AF-on button to do spot focusing (it's easy to move my left thumb around on the screen to get it where I want while looking through the viewer. If I want to do face detect, I push the "*" to the right of it - and "poof" it detects a face and follows it. This tip has really helped -- thanks for taking the time to respond.
I am glad my tip helped. I have received lots of help from others on this forum, so just trying to repay it a little.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back