Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The last two times I have had the R5 out (both times with the 100-500 not that I think that matters) when I was using my back button focus I have set to eye focus the camera just stopped and turned black. It took about 2 seconds then it recovered and worked as normal. Today it happened about 5 times and then I got an Error 40 message telling me to shut off the camera, take out the battery and reinsert it before restarting it. I suppose a call into Canon is in order? Anyone else have an issue? This is new since the firmware update.

That's an odd one, but a 40 error usually implies a battery issue - bad or dirty contacts, or bad battery. Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts, or a different battery?

That's an odd one, but a 40 error usually implies a battery issue - bad or dirty contacts, or bad battery. Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts, or a different battery?
I haven't. It was the battery that came with the camera, so it's only a few months old. I'll clean the contacts and see. It was seizing up with a non-canon battery as well as the one that it gave me the 40 error as well. I will try another different battery and see. Thanks.

The last two times I have had the R5 out (both times with the 100-500 not that I think that matters) when I was using my back button focus I have set to eye focus the camera just stopped and turned black. It took about 2 seconds then it recovered and worked as normal. Today it happened about 5 times and then I got an Error 40 message telling me to shut off the camera, take out the battery and reinsert it before restarting it. I suppose a call into Canon is in order? Anyone else have an issue? This is new since the firmware update.
I had a focus issue. I discovered that using a knockoff battery causes my eye focus not to work. If I place a Canon battery in the R5, eye focus is sharp and works every time.

I had a focus issue. I discovered that using a knockoff battery causes my eye focus not to work. If I place a Canon battery in the R5, eye focus is sharp and works every time.
Huh, that's so interesting. I have both Canon certified and knockoff batteries. I guess next time I am out I will try it and see if there is a difference, although I wonder why it could affect autofocus and not other things.

I have experienced the blackout and have cured it by switching the camera off then on again. I have since been told to just half depress the shutter button and that should do the job.
I agree, I can't see how a 3rd party battery can be responsible for AF...surely it's just an energy source ?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back