Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Canon has released firmware update version 1.3.1 for the R7.

Firmware Version 1.3.1 incorporates the following fix:
  • Improves the stability of the touch operation control when the [Touch control] is set to [Sensitive].
If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.3.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites.

Downloaded the new firmware, but when I tried to install it, the camera was able to read the filename on the card, but the OK button was greyed out, so all I could do was Cancel. Canon support hadn't heard of it happening and thought it was weird, but had no answers or workaround. I tried it with multiple downloads (in case the file was somehow corrupted) and multiple SD cards, but always the same (non)result. The support tech advised (and I had read) that it was only to address the touch sensitivity in sensitive mode, and if I wasn't having any trouble with it I didn't need to install it, but my concern is if there's something going on that will interfere with the next firmware update. FWIW, I had no trouble updating from 1.2 to 1.3 when that update was distributed.

I'd be interested to hear others' experiences.

Loren

• Admin
That definitely sounds very odd Loren. I can't think of why this might be other than a firmware bug. Was your battery fully charged? Sometimes firmware won't install if the battery isn't above a certain percentage.

Very odd indeed; in all the updates I've done over the years I've never run into this. In answer to your question, yes, it was a freshly charged battery; the previous one had about 70% left but I didn't want to take any chances so I used a newly charged battery at 100%. I may give it another try tomorrow if I have time, but, since it's not a vital update, I'm not inclined to spend a lot of time on it. Hopefully the next one will work!

L

Not sure if this is your solution LorenBC but when you do the update and get to the OK-Cancel screen you have to use the back wheel to move to OK and finish the install. This is a quote from another forum I belong to from someone having the same issue on an earlier update. Hope this works. "kept getting the screen that says Update with "Cancel" and "OK" but "OK" was grayed out so I thought I had done something wrong with the memory card. The 3rd or 4th YouTube video finally mentioned that the "OK" might be grayed out and to use the back wheel to move to "OK", the touch screen won't work for this."

Not sure if this is your solution LorenBC but when you do the update and get to the OK-Cancel screen you have to use the back wheel to move to OK and finish the install. This is a quote from another forum I belong to from someone having the same issue on an earlier update. Hope this works. "kept getting the screen that says Update with "Cancel" and "OK" but "OK" was grayed out so I thought I had done something wrong with the memory card. The 3rd or 4th YouTube video finally mentioned that the "OK" might be grayed out and to use the back wheel to move to "OK", the touch screen won't work for this."
Thanks, Jack -

Unfortunately, that's not the solution; the OK is not available by any means...rear wheel, touch, joystick. This is a real stumper.

L

Hi Loren
Just downloaded and installed the 1.3.1 firmware successfully. I reformatted my sd card first and downloaded via a laptop , carrying over to the sd card onto the root directory of the card. This usually works! And...I don't use the touch screen as its annoying, I prefer the wheel or joystick, whatever.

*****UPDATE*****

As I said earlier, the joystick, rear wheel, and joystick wouldn't move to OK, but, by fluke, I hit the right arrow key next to the Set button, and that did it. Really weird!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

L
I’ve had success with firmware updates via the Canon Connect app.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back