Beverley

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Beverley Thain
Can I ask any users of the RF 800 f/11 lens for their opinions. At the moment I’m using the EF 100-400 with the 1.4 converter and the canon adapter. With wildlife I never think I have enough reach for birds in flight. How do you find the f/11 in low light conditions? Is it worth investing in this lens?

I have just invested in the RF800 F11 and I'm very happy with the initial results. Image stabilization is amazing. Made the decision after reviewing many images from DPreview lens forum and YouTube videos. I also have the EF 100-400 Mk II + 1.4 Mk III extender which I'm keeping .
If you want a lens hood for it have a look on Amazon. The Canon is £59:99 whereas the equivalent one being sold on Amazon is £18:99. Like the Canon it's a bayonet fit with a release button and can be stored in reverse on the lens.

RF800_Test  (1 of 1).jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 1000

Last edited:
Thank you Ken. I think I’ll just go for one. The 100-400 is a fantastic lens but I just want that extra reach when needed.

Can I ask any users of the RF 800 f/11 lens for their opinions. At the moment I’m using the EF 100-400 with the 1.4 converter and the canon adapter. With wildlife I never think I have enough reach for birds in flight. How do you find the f/11 in low light conditions? Is it worth investing in this lens?

I have this lens for my R6 and it is a great lens. The f11 requires you to be very aware of your light especially when you need a high shutter speed for birds in flight.
F16857F8-8163-409B-94D6-E5671D7ABF3A.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 1000

this was heavily cropped but I had good light to get this shot

f11 1/800 iso 1000

I should have gone with a higher shutter speed as the R6 can handle the higher iso

Thank you Ken. I think I’ll just go for one. The 100-400 is a fantastic lens but I just want that extra reach when needed.
Wouldn’t the 2x extender give you the same 800mm at f.11 and give you the flexibility to zoom back out to 200mm and save some $$$?

I have this lens for my R6 and it is a great lens. The f11 requires you to be very aware of your light especially when you need a high shutter speed for birds in flight. View attachment 1717
this was heavily cropped but I had good light to get this shot

f11 1/800 iso 1000

I should have gone with a higher shutter speed as the R6 can handle the higher iso
Thank you for your reply. Gorgeous shot.

I am impressed with the IQ at the price the lens sells for but I decided to sell mine as I have the 100-500 plus a 1.4 so I can almost get the reach anyway. I was hoping I could use the 1.4TC on the 800 when needed but it's a huge loss in AF speed.
The main things to ne aware of before buying the 800 are 1) No lens hood or tripod foot so that is a downer. I don't need to tripod mount the lens as it's very lightweight but without a foot it's nor easy to carry. 2) You have very limited AF points, probably about 25% of the screen .

I love my RF 800! My principle reason for buying the lens was that the glass is so light - an important consideration as I get older. Another bonus is that with the R5 and RF 800 combined IS I no longer need to carry a tripod which again lightens the load. I take the point that Cannon do not include a lens hood but JJC sell a perfectly acceptable alternative for a fraction of the cost.

Here's how I look at it. The 100-500mm + 1.4TC will run you $3400 before taxes and you're stuck at 300-500mm with the converter on. It's worth every penny with the IQ but it's sure as heck clunky on a hike. But if I'm out on a day hike with a 24-105mm or 14-35mm on the front shooting landscapes and see a critter I want to shoot the 800mm weighs about the same as a bottle of water in my backpack and will keep me from regretting not taking 2 cameras. As for focus points, I'm thinking it's closer to 40% than 25% and you can always use single shot to focus and recompose, so it's not a big deal for me. I'm with Snappy on the JJC hood, even if I find Canon's stance on not including one ridiculous, and the only reason I would ever put it on a tripod would be to set it up on a constant target and trigger it. For what I paid for it it's a great lens to use in a pinch.

Or in my next career as a private investigator. ;)

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back