JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
I’m working on a portrait series and one of my settings / genres is cigar smoking. Would shooting inside a cigar lounge for maybe 20-30 minutes have adverse effect on my gear? R6M2 & 50mm f/1.8/85mm f/2.

I know prolonged exposure is absolutely not good, but half an hour wouldn’t be terrible? Any tips on making sure I don’t destroy $3500 worth of gear? Thanks.

Cigar smoker here. Most cigar lounges are really well ventilated, so the idea of a "smoke filled room" is not reality any more - at least not unless that's a thing for a particular place. I do a ton of backyard wildlife photography, and I can't tell you how many times I've picked up the R5 + 100-500mm with my right hand without putting down the cigar in my left.

I wouldn't think twice about how long you're in there shooting provided it's well ventilated. Swapping lenses would be the only thing that I'd be careful about. Find a place clear of ashtrays and smokers.
81218606_large1300.jpg

Yes smoke can get inside you gear and it is accumulative. This session, a campfire next month, wildfire smoke (it can get bad around here), fireworks on celebrations ... over the life of the camera and lens it adds up.

So the question is: Which is going to cause failure first; wear and tear or smoke damage?

I never heard of a Smoke Run until a came across this blog from Lens Rental a few years back.

Yes smoke can get inside you gear and it is accumulative. This session, a campfire next month, wildfire smoke (it can get bad around here), fireworks on celebrations ... over the life of the camera and lens it adds up.

So the question is: Which is going to cause failure first; wear and tear or smoke damage?

I never heard of a Smoke Run until a came across this blog from Lens Rental a few years back.
Wildfire and campfire smoke is a different story when it comes to its impact on gear, and yes, it can do some damage quickly. I made sure to differentiate between a cigar lounge, which are generally so well ventilated now that you don't see smoke in the room, and the old idea of the smoke filled club room.

As for the blog, that's a color run, not a smoke run. Biggest difference here is the size of the particles and the fact that they are thrown as a concentrated source onto participants. It's more akin to flour dust than smoke particulates. If you ever shoot one the only way to do it would be the same way you'd take your gear out into a Cat 3 hurricane - filter on the front and everything else wrapped air tight. But even then, I'm not going. ;)

I never have seen a warning "Smoking can harm your camera"!

If that's the case... You must stop smoking. Ash inside of the lens mean ash everywhere and that means that you are smoking to dangerous levels.
Did I say I have seen ash in my lens? I don't think I did. I do think that someone needs to mind their own business, particularly when they know nothing of it.

My camera and lenses don't go anywhere there's smoke anymore than I do. I used to smoke 40 a day but gave up 30 years ago.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back