Confused about the landscape composition.

Copterdoc

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank H Tucker
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'm working with a desert landscape mid-afternoon. The subject is obvious and it's pretty sharp all the way through. It just seems flat. R5, RF 15-35, F35, Shutter 1/200, ISO 1000. Not a lot to see in this flat wide-open landscape just thought the two Saguaros one a dead skeleton and one still quite alive were interesting together. Just seems that something is missing.

Attachments

• Saguaro Sckeleton copy.jpg
    Saguaro Sckeleton copy.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 120
Interesting shot, like the idea. For me the image isn’t balanced with too much empty space to the right. I’m not too sure what the image is about. Is it the desert or plants? I think a similar shot might work if it was one of the plants in isolation. Cropping this one, I would probably go portrait over the plants. There’s still enough desert to put them into context. The other option is a letterbox crop which I think adds a bit of drama to a shot, putting the bigger plant into the foreground. Hope you don’t mind, it’s easier for me to upload the crops rather than describe them, as below.

A6D1FA3B-308B-4CA8-8AB8-7ADDEFBCE4BB.jpeg

4F6C7557-9DBD-446D-9954-2EBEBAC4D7BC.jpeg

Overall I don't find the framing or the scenery all that interesting, however any single element might be very worthy of other shots if taken from other distances and vantage points. Macro or close focus on either cacti, worm's eye view might be cool. Or do what I learned long ago...don't spend too much time and energy on art if it's not there that quickly. There will be more, right?

We all shoot our share of drab shots and scenes and just keep telling yourself the Ansel adage - "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop".

Also, perhaps mid day sun wasn't the best time for this and sunrise/sunset will give it color and interest.

Interesting shot, like the idea. For me the image isn’t balanced with too much empty space to the right. I’m not too sure what the image is about. Is it the desert or plants? I think a similar shot might work if it was one of the plants in isolation. Cropping this one, I would probably go portrait over the plants. There’s still enough desert to put them into context. The other option is a letterbox crop which I think adds a bit of drama to a shot, putting the bigger plant into the foreground. Hope you don’t mind, it’s easier for me to upload the crops rather than describe them, as below.

View attachment 2973

View attachment 2974
I don't mind at all. In fact, I chose this image instead of the crop I already have as you have. The empty space on the right side was to show the mountain in the distance but with the 15-35 lens there is absolutely no compression so I think that may be one of the points that fail? I'm finding it hard to compose a landscape in this flat open desert environment. I appreciate your comments and examples.

Sorry if I'm adding too much commentary but I was reminded of this image. I took it stopped down and wide open, with everything in focus wasn't memorable but this version with shallow depth of field lent interest. Just like when I shoot macro, I tend to take at least two versions of scene, one wide open and the other at the diffraction point. I love the desert!

_MG_5290.jpg

Last edited:
Overall I don't find the framing or the scenery all that interesting, however any single element might be very worthy of other shots if taken from other distances and vantage points. Macro or close focus on either cacti, worm's eye view might be cool. Or do what I learned long ago...don't spend too much time and energy on art if it's not there that quickly. There will be more, right?

We all shoot our share of drab shots and scenes and just keep telling yourself the Ansel adage - "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop".

Also, perhaps mid day sun wasn't the best time for this and sunrise/sunset will give it color and interest.
Sometimes we shoot when and where we are. I now have this location to go back to and try new things. I agree that the golden hours would be best.

Thanks.

Sorry if I'm adding too much commentary but I was reminded of this image. I took it stopped down and wide open, with everything in focus wasn't memorable but this version with shallow depth of field lent interest. Just like when I shoot macro, I tend too take at least two versions of scene, one wide open and the other at the diffraction point. I love the desert!

View attachment 2975
Don't mind at all. I like this photo. My goal was to take this basic scene and treat it like a basic landscape where the focus is from the foreground to the background. In my case, I'm not sure that there was enough detailed background structure to produce an image like the one above. Also, the top of the Saguaro was a good 10 feet tall or more making this type of shot difficult but it does suggest some other option that I may try again. Thanks.

I get what you are saying with compression. I like that style of landscape shots, my 70-200 being my glass of choice. It’s surprising how little background/surroundings you need to anchor the shot and put the subject into context. As said perhaps move on from this composition and try a fresh go with a longer lens.

I get what you are saying with compression. I like that style of landscape shots, my 70-200 being my glass of choice. It’s surprising how little background/surroundings you need to anchor the shot and put the subject into context. As said perhaps move on from this composition and try a fresh go with a longer lens.
This is a good idea. Many times shooters get stuck on the idea of landscapes being wide angle shots and truth is you can use any focal length. I do a lot of landscape and nature images with a 135L. Love the compression, the colors it renders and the creamy OOF.

Actually, I think I can get the depth of field control I need because the background is so distant so my next attempt will be with the 100-500. It seems to me I end up with better landscapes using the long lenses than with the wide-angle. I have some landscape posted in the gallery and they were all shot with the 100-500. Seems like a trend but I want to expand my skills with other lenses. Thanks for the comments I really do appreciate them. :)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back