Confused about the landscape composition.

Sorry if I'm adding too much commentary but I was reminded of this image. I took it stopped down and wide open, with everything in focus wasn't memorable but this version with shallow depth of field lent interest. Just like when I shoot macro, I tend to take at least two versions of scene, one wide open and the other at the diffraction point. I love the desert!

View attachment 2975
I shot this perspective last night, late, and the light was almost gone. Used the RF 100-500mm and the compression is very evident. I would crop even tighter but I needed the complete top of the skeleton Saguaro. Not getting the aspect ratio I would like but the lens is defiantly doing its job. :unsure:

Attachments

• Compressed Landscape Test Smaller.jpg
    Compressed Landscape Test Smaller.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 100
It isn't very scientific, but sometimes just a lot of Trial and Error is called for. Even though the length of shadows imply very early or late in the day, it strikes me as the sun too high. Maybe just circle around and take shots every 30 degrees and see if any sings to you. I'd try a vantage point lower to the ground so the cacti would have more sky for background and maybe pick up some more detail and texture from the stuff on the ground. Include the setting or rising sun, maybe?

It isn't very scientific, but sometimes just a lot of Trial and Error is called for. Even though the length of shadows imply very early or late in the day, it strikes me as the sun too high. Maybe just circle around and take shots every 30 degrees and see if any sings to you. I'd try a vantage point lower to the ground so the cacti would have more sky for background and maybe pick up some more detail and texture from the stuff on the ground. Include the setting or rising sun, maybe?
I appreciate the comments. It's next to s housing development and an open-pit mine so I'm limited on the directions I can shoot.

I appreciate the comments. It's next to s housing development and an open-pit mine so I'm limited on the directions I can shoot.
This is something that I always find fascinating about the photos people post in this and many other groups; where was this image taken? what's just out of shot? what's happening behind the scenes? This image to me looks like it's miles form anywhere, with a long trek to reach it - may be a helicopter flight in your case? It's certainly beyond my travel experiences as I've never been in a hot desert like this. Yet with the new information you posted I'm now imagining it's just around the corner. Probably neither the the long trek nor the local neighbourhood is right, but the physical shooting constraints do have a big impact on what can be achieved and are often the fun part in getting to see something that other's have missed. I'm looking forward to seeing the next iteration.

I'm working with a desert landscape mid-afternoon. The subject is obvious and it's pretty sharp all the way through. It just seems flat. R5, RF 15-35, F35, Shutter 1/200, ISO 1000. Not a lot to see in this flat wide-open landscape just thought the two Saguaros one a dead skeleton and one still quite alive were interesting together. Just seems that something is missing.
It is very difficult almost impossible to get a shot like that in the UK, hot dry, empty. You might envy us for the constant rain we are having :).

I'm trying to comprehend using an extreme telephoto for a landscape. Most of the UK is too close or there is something in the way to make that work.

Now I understand your neighbourhood I think it would be easier to capture the juxtaposition of the natural habitat and the intrusion of industry and urbanisation. We get a lot of that in the UK, to the point it is sometimes difficult to avoid it.

Stop letting your brain see the view. The human eye equates to about 45mm lens its your brain that narrows the view. You know that thing some do with their fingers to make an oblong to frame a view? if you have a frame with a 4x3 inch hole and hold that up to your eye you don't get distracted by the surrounding area. Gives you time to really look at the scene to see if there is anything of merit in it

Just one thing about your picture. The horizon is almost in the middle of the frame. In this case it just doesn't work for me. I would like to see the dead and live cactus with the nearer hill as the picture. You might need to get low to emphasis the hill, and a 200mm lens, but that's a guess on my part

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back