PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our recent visit to Cragside, Rothbury, Northumberland, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panel).

You can find out more about Cragside by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Cragside House sits within a 1000-acre landscaped Estate. Both were created by visionary inventor, engineer and industrial magnate Lord William Armstrong and Lady Margaret Armstrong - gardener and philanthropist.

RF-S-CG-0.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 23.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

2. The couple transformed Cragside into ‘Britain’s first smart home’, installing central heating and utilising hydroelectricity to power electric lighting, hydraulics to drive the lift and water to power the rotisserie - there was even an early dishwasher. To this day Cragside uses a hydroelectric system to provide its power.

RF-S-CG-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 6400

3. In 1884 the Prince and Princess of Wales – the future King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra – stayed at the Cragside, choosing it over the region’s castles and other grand homes.

RF-S-CG-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 5000

4. The Library has 4 of inventor Joseph Swan’s original incandescent lamps. (Servants would wear gloves to avoid electrocution while placing the bowls in mercury to complete the circuit!).

RF-S-CG-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 6400

5. The Gallery was intended to house the Armstrong’s impressive private collection of art and other collectable exotica - including over 4,000 seashells.

RF-S-CG-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 6400

6. The huge and massively ostentatious Drawing Room, with its extraordinary two-storey, 10-tonne, carved marble fireplace. Cragside has been owned and managed by the National Trust since 1977.

RF-S-CG-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 3200

(Sources: National Trust, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Another amazing set. Love it, and keep them coming!

Another amazing set. Love it, and keep them coming!
Hi Mike,

This one was high up on our hit-list - and will probably feature in a repeat visit as there's more there we'd like to see.

We'd hoped to cycle there and around the grounds (a 6-mile pleasure drive), but the weather was absolutely dire and part of our intended 'quiet lanes' route there and back from our campsite was being used as a diversion for a road closure, so it was like a racetrack.

P&K

Wonderful pictures and the accompanying text is much appreciated.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back