Do you shoot much video with your R system camera?

Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
I haven't even attempted to shoot video and I've had my R for several years now. I do shoot video with my drone and my GoPro cameras and on my smart phone but I'm not much for wanting to record with the R. And for that matter I seldom used my DSLRs for video. I guess since I spent most of my life taking still pictures I've never felt that confident creating meaningful videos. A lot of my videos with the cameras I mentioned are more of a documentary of where I was or what I was doing. I did make a few fun videos at the swimming pool of my granddaughters, even let them take the GoPro down the water slide and of the diving board and them made a short clip with music. But that's about it.

Occasionally shoot video to supplement media in presentations. Usually ,2-3 clips about 15 seconds or less. Of course, to do this we have to shoot a lot of footage and then select the parts we want to include.

No

I have started taking quite a lot of video clips, it adds a new totally dimension to subjects I have only photographed in still format and captures things a still can't.
Here's one tongue in cheek example

The biggest issues I have are over heating of the R5 whilst taking them, then, the amount of storage/memory they take. Finally, editing in to something watchable is a whole different ball game and not an easy task when you are starting out with a new medium.

The biggest issues I have are over heating of the R5 whilst taking them, then, the amount of storage/memory they take. Finally, editing in to something watchable is a whole different ball game and not an easy task when you are starting out with a new medium.
Cute video. I do find it nice to include some video illustrating the dynamics of our environment when shooting stills. I find that when I put together a "slide show" with a mix of stills and some video along with music it takes about 30-40 hours for a 20-25 minute presentation. Fun, but tedious! However I really like the final results. I use Pictures to EXE software along with Photoshop and LR to process. I really need to learn more - like how to use C-log to get colors matched.

A bit here and there but mostly no.

That's really cute. I haven't done anything nearly that fun or good and learning to edit is stretching my brain. I've been trying to edit some gopro video in PS and that's no fun either.

I haven't even attempted to shoot video and I've had my R for several years now. I do shoot video with my drone and my GoPro cameras and on my smart phone but I'm not much for wanting to record with the R. And for that matter I seldom used my DSLRs for video. I guess since I spent most of my life taking still pictures I've never felt that confident creating meaningful videos. A lot of my videos with the cameras I mentioned are more of a documentary of where I was or what I was doing. I did make a few fun videos at the swimming pool of my granddaughters, even let them take the GoPro down the water slide and of the diving board and them made a short clip with music. But that's about it.
I am like you in that I spent most of my life using a camera to take pictures and not making videos, so I almost never use my R or my other camera for video. I also don't use my smart phone for video either...and almost for nothing except for phone calls...haha.

I noticed in your signature that you mention that you have way too many lenses and cameras. If you need a place to store them you can feel free to ship them to me and I will be glad to help. I have storage space for both EF as well as RF mount lenses. :D

I

Thought the latest firmware fixed the overheating issue.

Thought the latest firmware fixed the overheating issue.
In fairness I haven't tried since I uploaded the latest firmware, in fact it's so cold( by UK standards) I have barely been outside with the camera since and if it overheats that's a positive if it keeps my hands warm:);)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back