Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
As you guys know im laid up with knee issue.

Time to kill got to know DPP4 a bit more.

Learning curve and i am by NO means expert at editing.

But if latest and greatest are all 9 to 10/10 guess DPP4 would have to rank 7/7.5??

Presuming its noise reduction is only average.

A mate love his photos all he uses "good enough" is his comment.

Anyone on here is it your only go to editing programme ?

Couldnt find a watermark feature can do elsewhere i guess

To be honest i have never used DPP, only Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop. I must get around to having a look at DPP to see how good or not it is. i only make a few adjustments, so maybe ACR/PS is a bit of overkill for what i do, maybe DPP is simpler, but i do like the ACR interface.

90 plus percent of the time, it’s all I use. Maybe 10% of my keepers go to Affinity Photo for additional processing. That’s if I need to composite an HDR image, stitch a panorama, or try layers, masking, or other creative brushes / blemish removal, etc.

I’ve spent a whopping $25 on photography software since going digital in 2005.

It’s a fairly simple tool with plenty of free tutorials on YouTube. I’d be shocked if there are any magical hidden capabilities that would make it worth paying for a guide to learn it. Everything I saw in the 15 page preview is all fairly intuitive and nothing new that would entice me to spend money to find out what other gems might be in there.

Last edited:
I've given DPP a good try and for some reason it runs very slow on my Mac taking ages to load adjustments. I"ve bit the bullet now and purchased DxO Photolab 6, I did give the free trial version a go first and it works great, I just need to get my head around it now! To be fair though, the editing I did manage to do on DPP was ok.

I keep DPP updated and use it to delete unwanted photos before importing into LrC. Quick Check - Full Screen has excellent scaling and shows the files as finished Jpegs so sharp and contrasty. I also use it view files exported from LrC, again because of it's scaling. On 27" iMac PS shows those finished files in half the size which apparently is the correct scaling but they are too small to judge. Mac's Preview is awful.

I've always had a back up plan in case Adobe ever ticks me off. It's always changing. Since Adobe's Denoise AI came out I got rid of DXO and most of my Topaz apps. I kept Topaz Sharpen AI around. I was actually messing around a few weeks ago. Using DPP and sending a cropped TIFF to Sharpen AI. Not bad for the interim while I decide on the replacement. You never know. I may use it full time. DLO is very appealing. True digital deconvolution, not USM like some other apps use.

One thing that has always left wondering was about DPP's sharpening. Before DLO, DPP just had sharpening only. As we know the 3 phases of sharpening and capture, local and export. I used to send files from DPP to PS to resize and sharpen for export. Then Canon introduced DLO. So did that fill the capture sharpening part? it is part of deconvolution that compensates for the AA filter, etc. That is what some apps like LrC/ACR, etc do.

If I used DPP even with DLO and its USM I thinks I would still send a file to Affinity to touch up. I have version 1 but I never used it. I could not pass it up for $25. It was a backup as well.

I was a DPP die hard user at one time. I only switched to LrC (LR5 and 6 back then) because I found event editing a nightmare using DPP and PS. It took 3 trials for me to warm up to LR5 but I did get it and it made my life a lot easier. My wife said there was much less cussing coming out of the digital darkroom. Over time I started to appreciate what LR could do. Figures that after finally adopting LR5 Canon introduced DLO six months later.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back