Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
A mate whos retired LR PL7 Topaz and Photoshop uses them all.
Guess depends on you needs and number of photos and if your a Pro and make a living out of it.

How many editing programmes you guys have tried capture one refunded.
Got Topaz black friday rarely use.
Settled on DXOPL7/FPack.
Myself really only need one.

PS dont take this as a brag far from it but call my self a hobbyist nowadays rather than rank beginner.
2 years im off my learner plates. Putting a pic or two in a local photo comp let ya know how i go.
But editing still beginner.

Hi Peter,

Hobbyist - my software: macOS Sonoma, Adobe (Creative Cloud - Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and Camera Raw), Tony Kuyper (TK9 and TK Gen Fill plug-ins for Photoshop), DxO (PhotoLab Elite 7, FilmPack 7, ViewPoint 4 and Nick Collection 6), Topaz Labs (DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI, Photo AI and Studio 2), GoPro Player and - very rarely - Canon DPP 4. I also use a Loupedeck CT (with Loupedeck Console) and a Calibrite Display Pro HL (with Calibrate Profiler).

:)

Phil

Last edited:
wow all of a sudden im out of my depth in this discussion:) think im back to beginner status

wow all of a sudden im out of my depth in this discussion:) think im back to beginner status
Hi Peter,

Sounds to me like you've got a great mix of excellent software which meets your needs. That's a perfect set-up.

Me, I like to fiddle around with stuff (inquisitive and creative mind!) - but I never use it all on the same image... 😂

Phil

Hi Peter,

Sounds to me like you've got a great mix of excellent software which meets your needs. That's a perfect set-up.

Me, I like to fiddle around with stuff (inquisitive and creative mind!) - but I never use it all on the same image... 😂

Phil
its really something i lack in editing. Time as well. Lightning my main genre often crop , white balance , bit of exposure , noise reduction thats it sure i could do way more

DxO PhotoLab 7 Elite
DxO ViewPoint 3
DxO FilmPack 6 Elite
Topaz Sharpen AI

I use Lightroom Classic on my desktop and laptop for 95% of my photo editing. It took me years to learn it and now I'm pretty good with it and can make it dance. Once in a while I will go to Photoshop to do something different (for instance focus stacking, background replacement, colorizing). I don't know Photoshop, so I have to look up directions on the Web. I also use Topaz Sharpen at times, as a Lightroom plugin.

And yeah, sometimes I also use Irfanview. It is great for doing bulk cropping, resizing and editing when IQ is not the most important consideration. So it is used for document scans and sometimes also for photos. It can be handy for little jobs, for instance to crop or resize or to add text, when I don't want to bother with overly-complicated Photoshop.

And then there is ICE! It isn't available any more, but I have it installed. The long name is Microsoft Image Composite Editor. It stitches images together to make panoramas, and is really useful for combining scans of oversized documents.

I have a bunch that I've accumulated over time, but right now I'm only using Lr/Ps, DxO Pure Raw 3, and Topaz Sharpen AI and producing the best images I've ever made.

I'm simple these days. LrC, PS (which I rarely use) and Topaz sharpen AI. If Adobe ever gets a Sharpen AI module I'll stop using a Topaz. DXO definitely has Adobe beat in that area. Still using USM. I waited patiently for Adobe Denoise and when it came out I removed Photo AI, Topaz DeNoise, Topaz Gigapixel and On1 NoNoise off my system.

I wish I had the jam Phil has and it shows with his amazing work. I'm 67 and every year I'm losing a little more spark. I spent a lot of time in the dark room in the 80's following Ansel's teachings. That is a lot of years with this hobby.

Archibald reminded me of something. I always pre-cull all my files using DPP's Quick Check - full screen mode to remove unwanted files before importing into LrC.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back