Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
A beginner/hobbyist 2 yrs thus far after long hiatus last took photos in the 80s, like anyone here know zztop ,bonjovi ,tom petty.....i digress.

Anyway cold turkey into digital photography.

Becoming friends with many at same stage of there journey. Some use sony some use nikon some olympus some lumix.

Have to say in my opinion Canon and nikon seem way easier to use than many. Especially birds in flight.

Straight out of box a few on auto. Then read basic manual then a few more then down loaded advanced manual skimmed it then re read relevant pertinent sections to me.
Few you tubes then onto scene on canon checking settings, then a 1.5 hour lesson from camera store but only after i had done the above a month after full blown manual and good grasp of birds in flight and lighgtning photography.

But some other mates struggling with menus and auto focus birds in flight etc another hasnt quite got knack of olympus live composite which is why he bought it.

Only canon issue ive heard other than $$$$$ some guys just dont get on with the eye control focusing or what ever its called. Its out of my comfort zone.

But maybe ease of use means canon nikon have less features than rivals? Needed or not

PS hope im not hogging forum but find it less hostile than others.

Might hear from me heaps next week getting a new knee be laid up in hospital for 5 to 7 days depending on recovery. Bored shitless after 2 days

Doubt i will be allowed to sneak in my RP

Hog away Peter! :) I think today's modern cameras definitely require a little more self-education before you can get the most out of them. Thankfully there are some nice folks on YouTube pumping out some great setup guides. I hope all goes well with your knee op!

Hey Peter. Good wishes with the knee replacement. Learning my R7 from YouTube has been impossible for me. I really want a printed manual. I learn much better from reading compared to watching a video over and over and over before I get it figured out (in the field looking at my tiny phone screen 🤬).

i agree and books by david busch,nina bailey and i subscibe to eos magazine online

Last edited:
Being laid up has its blessings. Free time to learn. I did a lot of what you’re doing in the early days of the pandemic. Read watch, test, read some more, ask questions. All good stuff.

I do find Canon far more intuitive for me. We were between an RP and an A7III. Despite the spec sheet battle, one visit to the store to test drive sealed the deal for me. I’ve since moved to the R6II. Even with the significant increase in capability, I find it very natural and easy to adapt to.

Hey Peter. Good wishes with the knee replacement. Learning my R7 from YouTube has been impossible for me. I really want a printed manual. I learn much better from reading compared to watching a video over and over and over before I get it figured out (in the field looking at my tiny phone screen 🤬).
Have you downloaded the advanced user guide. It’s in PDF form. Our library lets us print 50 pages a week free. In just 20 weeks, one could have the whole thing printed out! 😂

Yeah use it for reference

Have you downloaded the advanced user guide. It’s in PDF form. Our library lets us print 50 pages a week free. In just 20 weeks, one could have the whole thing printed out! 😂
That's hilarious!!! 20 weeks!!!
I have the pdf manual downloaded onto my phone and also onto my notebook. Since I pretty much always have my phone with me, if I need to look something up, it's always there. But yes, I'd rather have a nice little paper book!
I watched several videos on Utube, and that did help when I first got my R7. The best part was, I learned what DIDN'T work for me and I ended up changing settings several times!! There are SO MANY possible commands and options on these cameras! Wow.

Regarding which cameras are intuitive, I also have a Fuji X-T1, and I find it to be very intuitive. Everything is on a dial, almost. At least most of the important things are. But, I still love my Canons!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back