Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
If im doing equine i got to animals.
People go to people etc etc
Never tried auto is it pretty good or better than that fail proof?

Last edited:
Nothing is fool proof, and a lot depends on the body. At the moment I would say the R3 and R6ii are the closest to "fool proof". The R7 would be next with regard to identification but has issues with continual focus lock on high frame rates. R5 is fine but currently still has the first generation focus system. I don't shoot automotive much, but I did some testing when the option first came out and didn't have any issues.

My understanding is that what we'll see on the R1 and R5ii is a cut above the best they have now, which is saying something. The first shot I took with an R7 was of a bluebird in the shadows of a tree and it immediately locked on the eye - and it was only a small portion of the viewfinder and that's a $1500 body.

The R8 has the same subject detection as the R6 MkII, and I generally leave mine in auto as well, unless I'm exclusively shooting one type of subject, like I'm at an event shooting people, or an airshow shooting aircraft. It works great. Any problems I encounter are typically my fault. The R8 doesn't have an AF nub on the back of the camera, but you can use the screen as a touchpad to manipulate the autofocus point, which is really handy. However, sometimes I'll move the focus point around with my nose or my cheek or something, so I've been experimenting with the different settings for this feature, and considering just turning it off entirely. As long as my nose isn't getting in the way, the subject recognition in auto works wonderfully.

Guess im always worried in situations like this auto might select person rather than horse

lia10K0A8346_openWith-topaz-sharpen.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 128.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 640

R6 Mark 2 user and I leave subject detection on auto and it seems to work very well.
Just curious, what do you mean when you use “auto” subject detection? I have the R7 and do not see that option. Does the R6 II have different options?

Just curious, what do you mean when you use “auto” subject detection? I have the R7 and do not see that option. Does the R6 II have different options?
I've set a customized button that allows me to cycle through all the options quickly. I mostly leave it on "animals." This also makes it easy to choose the "none" option, which I find very useful.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.10.44.jpg

I can't find it now but i'm sure i read somewhere that in auto, it prioritises people, if no people, then animals.

I've set a customized button that allows me to cycle through all the options quickly. I mostly leave it on "animals." This also makes it easy to choose the "none" option, which I find very useful.

View attachment 28460
OK. I have the answer. The R6 MkII has the Auto option but my R7 does not.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back