Followers
Following
Name
Bob
City/State
Whidbey Island, WA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So there's a big eagle's nest about eight miles from the house that people say has been in use for about 25 years. The same pair have been coming back and building their family for 18 years that we personally know of. It's in the middle of a State Park and is situated in such a way that if you don't know where it is you'll miss it every time. It's very high in the air and deeply placed among a stand of Douglas Firs.

My wife and I spend a lot of time down in the park and feel connected to the bonded pair as we've been watching them do their thing for almost 20 years. During that time we've introduced the nest to friends and it's kind of a thing that we go down and see how many babies, first flights, nest rehab, etc.

On this one particular day there was a crow at the very top of an adjacent tree doing what crows do - harassing the eagles. Mom (I think - if anyone can tell me if this beauty is male or female please help a noob out - finally had her fill and launched from just above the nest to go after the crow. The result that I was able to capture is one of my favorite sequences ever. It isn't perfect and there is a gap in the middle where the eagle went through some smaller trees at the bottom of her dive but most of them tracked the eye very well. In the first couple of frames you can even see the pine needles she knocked off a branch with her wing on her way down.

All criticism is welcome. If you saw how far away and up the subject was you'd understand why some of them are weak. I also struggled with the white balance in post and in the end I left it alone 'as shot'. I'll include a couple of shots of the tree that holds the nest as well as the babies doing their thing in another post..

The site only allows 15 attachments which is plenty and thanks very much, but there are five shots remaining at the end of the landing - just more of the eagle settling his feathers.

Shot with the R5 and my old 100-400L II and 1.4X III extender @ 560mm. F8, 1/1200, ISO 200.

Thinks for looking.

_E7A1747-19 Final.jpg

_E7A1749-18 Final.jpg

_E7A1750-17 Final.jpg

_E7A1752-16 Final.jpg

_E7A1754-15 Final.jpg

_E7A1768-14 Final.jpg

_E7A1769-13 Final.jpg

_E7A1770-12 Final.jpg

_E7A1771-11 Final.jpg

_E7A1772-10 Final.jpg

_E7A1773-09 Final.jpg

_E7A1774-08 Final.jpg

_E7A1775-07 Final.jpg

_E7A1776-06 Final.jpg

_E7A1778-05 Final.jpg

I especially like the one of them landing on their perch with wings in full spread. Awesome.

I especially like the one of them landing on their perch with wings in full spread. Awesome.
And the big feet sticking straight out in front to grab!

Thank you very much!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back