Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'm trying to get realistic sports photos that "pop". Not so much that they look garish or over-baked but enough to stand out from a crowd.
So, that's the intention but I'm not sure I've got it quite right. Your mission, if you choose to accept it šŸ˜Š is to let me know what you think and, if you have any ideas, feedback and suggestions, they'd be gladly received.
I have good equipment, so should do it justice. R3,usually set on Auto ISO, RF 400mm, RF 100-300mm, using a shutter speed appropriate to the action.
TIA, Mike

Attachments

• tempImageEVcLH3.jpg
    tempImageEVcLH3.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 50
  • tempImageQ3GyiO.jpg
    tempImageQ3GyiO.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 51
  • tempImageYbfEDo.jpg
    tempImageYbfEDo.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 43
  • tempImageejWgqX.jpg
    tempImageejWgqX.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 49
  • tempImageFj3OKm.jpg
    tempImageFj3OKm.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 55
They look pretty damn good to me!

What market are they aimed at? Web? Print media? Prints for teams/players/families?

Whatā€™s your workflow/software/time pressure

About the only thing I can suggest after a quick look is maybe a mild vignette to reduce background clash and increase focus on the centre of the image.

They look pretty damn good to me!

What market are they aimed at? Web? Print media? Prints for teams/players/families?

Whatā€™s your workflow/software/time pressure

About the only thing I can suggest after a quick look is maybe a mild vignette to reduce background clash and increase focus on the centre of the image.
Thanks for that! Quite reassuring šŸ˜Š I tend to lose perspective when stuck in from of a screen for so long. Also, taking advantage of some of the new AI functionality, it's possible for me to overdo things šŸ¤£

The photos are aimed at the players, clubs and parents/community. I do it for pleasure - mine and theirs - and post in dedicated Facebook. If they want prints or high-res, I'll send them in return for a donation to a charity and they can organise the prints themselves.

I'm retired and don't want any time pressures/commitments to spoil the enjoyment of what I do. My workflow has recently changed a bit;
Culling with Narrative Select. (Usually about 3-4,000 per session, dulled to about 100)
File renaming after first cull with XnViewMP.
(Previously, Raw Development, Optical Correction and DeNoise with DXO PhotoLab. Now Lightroom)
Editing with Lightroom Desktop.
Export to Tiffs and Convert to HEIC with Finder.
Post to groups and my AussieActive Page.

Agree on the vignette and background clash. I do use a -5 vignette on a few but not all, as the ball is often at the edge of the crop and darkening it, as a significant element, doesn't work too well.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back