Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Steven Aunan
City/State
Sacramento, CA
I'm traveling to Europe for three weeks and want to take a wide angle zoom. The problem is I don't have one. I just bought the R5m2, can't justify the expense of an RF 14-35mm f/4L, and don't really want the RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3.

My RF 24-105mm f/4L is just not wide enough in some situations. Also, I don't want to carry a bag or make a public production of swapping the 16mm and 50mm primes.

So I'm looking at a used EF 17-40mm f/4L ($260) or EF 16-35mm f/4L ($515).

A search here finds only a few threads mentioning the 17-40mm. Some threads at DPReview say that lens is soft in the corners on full frame but OK on APSC. Some even say it's "the worst lens ever."

What are your thoughts on this?

Here are some current prices at MPB.

Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 6.25.49 PM.png

Hi Steven,

16mm (or less) is a huge advantage over 24mm if you're aiming for expansive cityscapes/ buildings/ interiors or even sweeping landscapes.

f/4 is a very decent choice, but there are clearly some situations where f/2.8 is better. However, f2.8 kit is also generally heavier and bulkier.

(Plus, if you're looking to shoot things which need a deeper depth of focus, you could find yourself above f/4 for much of the time anyway).

Out of your list we have an EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, which we use with Karen's R7 and my R5, and we have been pleased with the results.

We also have the RF 24-105mm f/4L - a superb travel lens. (Perhaps also consider the RF 16mm f/2.8? Obviously not 'L' class, but it's fun).

Good luck with your trip and lens choice (only you can judge what is best for your needs) - looking forward to seeing what you capture... :)

Phil

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, Phil. Because of the price, I decided on a "like new" EF 17-40mm f/4L for $265. I'll take it out for a spin in the coming weeks and post some results in the Adapted Lens forum.

I recently sold my EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6, which I used on the R7 for the 2023 trip across the pond. This time I'll take the R5 m2, the 17-40mm, the RF 50mm f/1.8 and the RF 24-105mm f/4L.

I have a great memory from Heathrow Airport in January 2023. My wife and I were on the way back to the States and had to spend the night. While hanging out in the hotel, I bought a used EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II from Adorama. It's one of my favorite lenses, but I'm not hauling that beast around Europe for three weeks!

Thanks for the feedback, Phil. Because of the price, I decided on a "like new" EF 17-40mm f/4L for $265. I'll take it out for a spin in the coming weeks and post some results in the Adapted Lens forum.

I recently sold my EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6, which I used on the R7 for the 2023 trip across the pond. This time I'll take the R5 m2, the 17-40mm, the RF 50mm f/1.8 and the RF 24-105mm f/4L.

I have a great memory from Heathrow Airport in January 2023. My wife and I were on the way back to the States and had to spend the night. While hanging out in the hotel, I bought a used EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II from Adorama. It's one of my favorite lenses, but I'm not hauling that beast around Europe for three weeks!
Hi Steven,

Thanks for coming back to update the post - and congratulations on your new lens! That's a great choice and price (very useful range + L features).

Love the story - that's the kind of spontaneous thing we're apt to do (e.g. we went out to buy me a sun hat and came back with a new guitar... :cool: ).

Have fun in Europe (can you bring some warm and sunny weather over with you?)... :)

P&K

I'm traveling to Europe for three weeks and want to take a wide angle zoom. The problem is I don't have one. I just bought the R5m2, can't justify the expense of an RF 14-35mm f/4L, and don't really want the RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3.

My RF 24-105mm f/4L is just not wide enough in some situations. Also, I don't want to carry a bag or make a public production of swapping the 16mm and 50mm primes.

So I'm looking at a used EF 17-40mm f/4L ($260) or EF 16-35mm f/4L ($515).

A search here finds only a few threads mentioning the 17-40mm. Some threads at DPReview say that lens is soft in the corners on full frame but OK on APSC. Some even say it's "the worst lens ever."

What are your thoughts on this?

Here are some current prices at MPB.

View attachment 31316

Take my opinion with a pinch of salt as I'm far from being an expert on the subject, but I've always loved my 17-40L as a city walkabout and general landscape lens. I've also got a 24-105L, which I like but personally I feel like I get more out of the wider lens and have been more than happy with it to the point I was considering buying a second hand replacement this week as well to replace my one that died recently.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back