Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Recently I was tented to check DSLR low prices and found a 5D Mark III with less than 20000 shots. I probably do not have to say that I pulled the trigger. Oh boy, in the last 3 weeks my R7 is seating in my desk collecting dust.

No Eye Autofocus, No tracking, less AF points and yet, the results are impressive. So impressive that I'm not using the R7 and I do not miss it.

What do you like so much about it? I've never owned a 5D (or any Canon DSLR) but I've handled one a few times, and it feels so good in the hand, just lovely ergonomics. I find that's a consistent strength of Canon's design, their bodies just feel good to hold, and the 5D is the peak of that in my experience.

What do you like so much about it? I've never owned a 5D (or any Canon DSLR) but I've handled one a few times, and it feels so good in the hand, just lovely ergonomics. I find that's a consistent strength of Canon's design, their bodies just feel good to hold, and the 5D is the peak of that in my experience.
1- Image quality, it's a full frame and images are less noisy than those from the R7, of course, you can get this from any other R full frame (may be). Still, the colors coming from this camera are really good.
2- AF. The AF on this camera is right on the spot. Even for BIF. May be I trusted too much the Eye AF in the R7 and in the 5D I'm moving the Focus point right to the eye of the subject and the result is a sharp eye all time. Overall, I'm feeling that all those AI features, like human detection, animal detection, etc, are not that good, I feel like the AF in the R7 goes crazy trying to "please you" and in that hunting around it fails sometimes. I have set in my R7 one of the back buttons to switch to a single point AF without any detection or tracking features and I consistently get sharp pictures when I use that button. In the 5D those features are not there and I'm consistently get sharp pictures.
3- Like you mentioned the 5D feels good in your hands.

Here other examples of my 5D pictures:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back