General Full-Frame Exposure simulation with flash

danielsnake

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dan
Hello dear canon RF community

Does anybody know if there os anyway to keep active exposure simulation on the R series while using flash?.

I know, no flash can be simulated, I'm aware of that, what I'm after is to make the camera simulate exclusively for the Ambien light, while i use flash (ocf); without programing a button to activate and deactivate the flash function.

I have looked for several days online, and apparently it can't be done, if this is true.... Why would canon do something so... Stupid really, to their cameras?, turn their mirrorless basically into dslrs again if you want to add a touch of flash to an image.

What about viewing the image prior to turning the Flash on?

I am not sure why you consider "...canon doing something so...Stupid", since, as you stated, "I know, no flash can be simulated", why would Canon bother chasing an unobtainable goal?

What about viewing the image prior to turning the Flash on?

I am not sure why you consider "...canon doing something so...Stupid", since, as you stated, "I know, no flash can be simulated", why would Canon bother chasing an unobtainable goal?
That you suggest, turn on the flash once the ambien light was measured can be done, but it takes more time and it is not convenient at all for rapid changing environments (in regards to light).

One of the more attractive features of the mirrosless system is the fact that is possible see the exposure live on the screen and "what you see is what you get" we are not talking here a blast of flash light, just a sutil Kiss of light, because obviously the intention here is to preserve the ambient light as much as possible and add that kiss of light, well apparently there is no option to do that without finniqui workarounds, why?, Why there is only simulate exposure: on/off and preview w/dof?.

Is it really too diffcult add another option: "only simulte ambient light", you choose it and everyone will know flash will not be take into account (if you are worried with confusing people).

It is stupid, i don't see a reason why that option does not exist, it would make everything so much faster accurate an easy with a flash, but no.... We have to go back, the way things where done with dslrs, go backwards... With new tech... Is that smart?.

Would turning on the Modeling Lamp on your OCF provide what you need? I find the modeling light helpful in really dark settings and then taking a sample shot or two with the flash and quickly reviewing the images in the LCD screen.

Would turning on the Modeling Lamp on your OCF provide what you need? I find the modeling light helpful in really dark settings and then taking a sample shot or two with the flash and quickly reviewing the images in the LCD screen.
I use speedflashes.

A constant artificial light would be the same as ambient light.

I use speedflashes.

A constant artificial light would be the same as ambient light.
The speelight I use is the Godox V1-C, which has a modeling light that can be turned on and remain while using the flash function of the V1-C. In a darker room/setting without much ambient light, the modeling light provides enough light for my auto focus to lock then I take the shot which triggers the flash. The V1-C can be used both on camera and off camera, but off-camera requires a remote trigger to be used from the hot shoe.

The larger off-camera lighting units that I use also have modeling lights, which are also triggered by a remote trigger. All of which give me a good sense or idea what my picture will be when the flash triggers.

It was merely a suggestion. We all utilize different techniques. If this isn't of interest or isn't applicable to you, then disregard.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back