Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
May not word this the best hope it makes sense.
So night time storm chases can be in various locations. For ease let’s call it location A B and C.

I arrive at location A name file on card camera A.

Then drive 40km in the dark similar secluded spot location B can I rename file on camera B then when I move to location C do the same thing? Or do photos have to be copied from SD card onto laptop and card reformatted? Can handle different file prefix on same card?

Yup I know some one is gonna say slot one and two for different shoot. But won’t work with RP.

Also some will suggest hey carry more cards just change them yep that’s a option as well.

Guess it’s just easy if one card down load to computer and comes up with various prefixes and I know location. Pity R cameras don’t have GPS.

Just chewing the fat cheers team and thanks for replies to my normal odd questions hope it makes sense.

I do get storm photos hmmm where exactly did I take that

Have you considered using your smartphone connection via Canon Camera Connect as a GPS device to record the location of every shot?

Simplest solution - tiny notebook (or notes in your phone) make a note of photo number / location / date and time.

Simplest solution - tiny notebook (or notes in your phone) make a note of photo number / location / date and time.
point taken only issue in height of a lightning storm at 2 am and camera going clik clik with 3 cameras set up kinda hard to take notes

Last edited:
Have you considered using your smartphone connection via Canon Camera Connect as a GPS device to record the location of every shot?
i dont get on with canon connect on multiple cameras just can get it to work

Can someone run through simple set up of canon app ive given up to be honest

Can't you go by the time stamp on the photos?

Shoot a landmark at the new location when you arrive.

You could also make a short movie when going from one location to the other saying where you are going.

I hate the Canon app and will only use it if there is no other way.

Sit in your vehicle and with the dome light on make a video of anything, but record the audio of the information you want to remember for later.

You could just make a movie in your car saying where you are going next.

I agree with all of the tips above, especially with the Canon app being something that I really do not like. I even bought a mid-priced Samsung phone hoping that the gps experience with the app would be better as I thought my phone was the problem. It was the app.

I bought a Solmeta GMAX2 for my EOS R and absolutely recommend it 100%. Yeah, I have to remember to put it on the hot shoe and turn it on, but if I do that, it works wonderfully. Thankfully when walking around using my ThinkTank shoulder bag, it will hold my camera with the gps attached without a problem.

https://www.solmeta.com/Product/show/id/37 is the link to what I bought.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back