Brian McGovern

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Brian McGovern
Hi Guys, Due to health reasons my photographic ability is being badly affected by my eyesight. I have been looking at camera monitors. I want a monitor for stills photography and one that mimics the camera screen, preferably with enhanced focus display. I would prefer good rather than cheap, but would prefer not to pay lots of money for something that is 90% video orientated more that stills. Simply put; my eyesight is so bad that I might need two give up photography. I am delaying that for as long as possible, so I am looking at a monitor that will let me see the focus point LOL. Any suggestions?
UPDATE
I decided to just go ahead and buy a so called "Field Monitor". I didn't want or need anything exotic such as the Atamos or similar. All I really needed was a larger, clearer and more readable screen that would mirror the screen on my R6 and allow me to continue with my hobby of photography. For those that don't know I have stage 4 head and neck cancer which has affected my sight in my left eye. I have not been able to use the EVF for some time now and trying to locate the camera screen focus points in sunlight's difficult for all of us. To to cut a long story short, I decided to try a monitor and TBH it is BRILLIANT! I can now restart my hobby. So hopefully I can start posting again.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Due to health reasons my photographic ability is being badly affected by my eyesight. I have been looking at camera monitors. I want a monitor for stills photography and one that mimics the camera screen, preferably with enhanced focus display. I would prefer good rather than cheap, but would prefer not to pay lots of money for something that is 90% video orientated more that stills. Simply put; my eyesight is so bad that I might need two give up photography. I am delaying that for as long as possible, so I am looking at a monitor that will let me see the focus point LOL. Any suggestions?
Hi Brian,

Sorry to read of your woes - and best wishes.

I have no idea whatsoever about external monitors, so I'm not sure if this is what you are thinking about, but this may be worth investigating - Click Here.

Phil

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Phil. That is the type of monitor that I am looking for. But I wonder if it is more video related than stills

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Phil. That is the type of monitor that I am looking for. But I wonder if it is more video related than stills
Hi Brian,

I fear that may go with the territory? (Bearing in mind - as stated - I have no idea what I'm talking about... 😅 ).

On a similar note, this is the company we got Karen's R7 through (very good!) - again, maybe worth checking out?

Phil

Last edited:
They are made primarily for video, allowing you to 1) better see the viewfinder when shooting video, and 2) allowing you to record the viewfinder screen while shooting stills (what the guys who make the videos use to put up their vlogs). But just because its primary use is video doesn't mean it can't be used for stills. And because you aren't looking to use it for those primary functions you can probably settle on one that doesn't have all the bells and whistles in terms of recording time, and may even be able to find a great used one that has been replaced by the manufacturer.

Hello Brian,

Year ago when I was attending college I really, really needed an external monitor. I picked up an HP 24 mh and calibrate it monthly. It was about $130 US or about 103 Quid. I know nothing about VAT so your on your own there.

It works for my photo editing, but I am no where near a professional photographer.

Hello Brian,

Year ago when I was attending college I really, really needed an external monitor. I picked up an HP 24 mh and calibrate it monthly. It was about $130 US or about 103 Quid. I know nothing about VAT so your on your own there.

It works for my photo editing, but I am no where near a professional photographer.
Thanks Dean,

They are made primarily for video, allowing you to 1) better see the viewfinder when shooting video, and 2) allowing you to record the viewfinder screen while shooting stills (what the guys who make the videos use to put up their vlogs). But just because its primary use is video doesn't mean it can't be used for stills. And because you aren't looking to use it for those primary functions you can probably settle on one that doesn't have all the bells and whistles in terms of recording time, and may even be able to find a great used one that has been replaced by the manufacturer.
Thanks Jake. All I want from this is to be able to see the focus point/area on the screen. At the moment in any natural light I just can't see it anymore. I am assuming that all of these monitors will mirror the camera screen and should show the focus point?

Another option would be to look at tablets. I use Canon Connect with my iPhone and my screen mirrors my live view on the camera, allows exposure changes, remote trigger, etc. Tablets also have screens up to around 12" for the newer models and should connect fine.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back