Canon R5 Firmware 1.9.0 upgrade problem

Mikegladman

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
I’ve just uploaded the latest firmware 1.90 to my R5… and have completely lost autofocus (updated from 1.70 version). Was loaded with RF 100-500 so have swapped to a couple of L lenses I use with an adaptor.. same issue. Has anyone else had the same problem or knows how to fix?

I've not had this issue with my own R5 since the update and haven't heard of anyone else having this particular issue so far. It might be worth doing a camera reset and if that doesn't do the trick I would get in touch with Canon Support.

I've not had this issue with my own R5 since the update and haven't heard of anyone else having this particular issue so far. It might be worth doing a camera reset and if that doesn't do the trick I would get in touch with
Thanks Timothy … I’ve tried that without success and now escalated it to Canon. Appreciate the input!

Mike…
Can you confirm that your R5's autofocus does not work even when the camera is set to A+ (Scene Intelligent Auto—'auto-everything' mode).
… David
Thanks David.. in the meantime Canon Support have been great in coming back so quickly and their suggested fix has brought it back again. Sharing the detail below in case anyone else has the same problem. (I had actually tried the reset but not the other actions):
  1. Put the camera on ‘P’ mode then press menu and go in to ‘SPANNER’ menu tab 5, reset camera and select basic settings then clear all camera settings.
  2. Now press the menu and go into orange camera menu next to spanner menu and select tab 3 and select 5th option ‘clear customized settings’ and this will clear all customize buttons and customize dials settings.
  3. Now press menu and go into orange camera menu next to spanner menu and select tab 5 and select ‘clear all custom functions settings C.Fn.’, this will clear all custom functions settings, now turn the camera OFF and ON again try AF and check.

Regards
Mike

Thanks David.. in the meantime Canon Support have been great in coming back so quickly and their suggested fix has brought it back again. Sharing the detail below in case anyone else has the same problem. (I had actually tried the reset but not the other actions):
  1. Put the camera on ‘P’ mode then press menu and go in to ‘SPANNER’ menu tab 5, reset camera and select basic settings then clear all camera settings.
  2. Now press the menu and go into orange camera menu next to spanner menu and select tab 3 and select 5th option ‘clear customized settings’ and this will clear all customize buttons and customize dials settings.
  3. Now press menu and go into orange camera menu next to spanner menu and select tab 5 and select ‘clear all custom functions settings C.Fn.’, this will clear all custom functions settings, now turn the camera OFF and ON again try AF and check.

Regards
Mike
Glad it's resolved Mike! :)

Glad you got it going. I have not had the problem here on my R5. However, I’m curious if you were able to save your settings before the fix procedure and reload successfully afterward without the problem recurring?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back