Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Trevor Stevenson
City/State
Staffordshire, UK
I've been playing with the FV mode on the R5 but am not sure there's any advantage over Manual mode. I must admit I haven't used it in the field, only messing about at home though. Perhaps there are circumstances where it could be useful but I haven't worked out where yet. My interest is wildlife photography and my normal mode is Manual but occasionally TV depending on what I'm doing. Has anyone found this setting useful yet, I'm interested to know.

I think the idea is that you can quickly change just one setting and leave the others auto. So like AV/TV in one setting you just choose which one you want to make quick changes to.

I played with it a bit in the field but not sure it has a huge advantage over the other modes.

Thanks for your thoughts, I think you've come to the same conclusion as me. It's nice to know its there but I don't see me making much use of it.

Users who give the time, effort and thought into setting up their dials and buttons just so to personalize their shooting workflow and ergonomics will most likely find it unnecessary. Those who use the default settings only might have interest in a flexible M mode like Fv. I find it only slightly interesting, nothing major like the Control Ring flexibility.
As an Av shooter the majority of the time, using my right thumb for AF points on the touchscreen and setting aperture via the lens is huge to me. Now THAT is an improvement over dslrs. Shooting in this manner, I don't have an interest in using too many other dials.

I've been playing with the FV mode on the R5 but am not sure there's any advantage over Manual mode. I must admit I haven't used it in the field, only messing about at home though. Perhaps there are circumstances where it could be useful but I haven't worked out where yet. My interest is wildlife photography and my normal mode is Manual but occasionally TV depending on what I'm doing. Has anyone found this setting useful yet, I'm interested to know.
One of the things I enjoy about it is that I can quickly thumb through settings that I use in manual through the EVF. I have used it for portraits and look forward to using it for sports! Maybe I over simplified its use, but I am satisfied thus far.

Reviving this thread: actually, I've been using it for the last couple of days and quite like Fv mode. I like being able to quickly change a particular setting with two fingers...or just set one parameter to auto by hitting the trash button. Very slick.

The only use I've found for Fv mode is the ability to instantly reset ISO to auto at the press of the trash can button. It's not that quick and easy in any other mode. Otherwise, I prefer M mode because I can instantly change aperture, shutter speed, and ISO with three separate dials/fingers instead of, in Fv mode, first having to scroll to one of those settings and THEN changing it. So I much prefer a one-step as opposed to a two-step process to change each setting.

But again, to each his own. I'd have to force myself to use it more to better appreciate it, I guess. But right now, I keep going back to M mode.

In the past month or so I have adopted Fv mode in all three of my bodies (R5, R and R7), whereas previously I shot in Av. Back in the film days I mostly shot in manual, and recently decided it might be worth reverting back to manual cum auto ISO. Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to use exposure compensation when shooting in manual with auto ISO. However with Fv I can easily accomplish that, so it looks like Fv will be my standard operating procedure going forward.

I am completely sold on FV mode and have moved to it on all my bodies which support it (R5, R7 and M6 II). It has all the advantages of manual mode and none of the disadvantage. In some ways its not a lot different than Manual plus auto ISO, but I do fin dit faster and more intuitive to use.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back