Gimbals

stevegixer

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Stephen matthews
At the moment I am using a neewar carbon gimbal but it is playing up.
I am using it with my R3 & canon 300mm f2.8 mk2 for wildlife.
I am looking fir a replacement .
Tight budget .
Any recommendations.

Out of curiosity, as I am also looking to buy a gimbal head and have my eye on (or had, after reading you post) the Neewer GM101, what seems to be the problem with it? The other one I was looking at is a much more expensive Slik.

Out of curiosity, as I am also looking to buy a gimbal head and have my eye on (or had, after reading you post) the Neewer GM101, what seems to be the problem with it? The other one I was looking at is a much more expensive Slik.
I'm not a big time user of the Gimbal, but I have the GM101 and have not had an issue with it. As with many things YMMV, so it would be interesting to hear what's not working for @stevegixer

At the moment I am using a neewar carbon gimbal but it is playing up.
I am using it with my R3 & canon 300mm f2.8 mk2 for wildlife.
I am looking fir a replacement .
Tight budget .
Any recommendations.
Not sure what you mean by "playing up". Does this mean that your longitudinal balance is not spot on? On Gimbals, static balance is just as important as on electronic gimbals like the DJI RS2. The precise balance of the camera rig being used is essential to removing variables when panning and tilting. Since longitudinal balance is the only axis available on a Mechanical gimbal like the Neewer, make it as good as you can. The second issue is bearing freedom and play. When you loosen the Pan and tilt the axis of each there should be little to no friction or play when balancing. JMHO Bearing drag and inability to balance the axis can be a limitation of the gimbal design. Inexpensive Gimbals run the gamut of superior design and quality in these areas so it may be a bit hit or miss based on price.
One last note: gimbal materials are more closely associated with weight and if we need to carry the gimbal long distances, this is a factor. However, gimbal performance in pan and tilt is the reason for choosing one in the first place so understand that a stiff and fluid gimbal is the ultimate goal. They can be found in different materials, and it is the design of the gimbal that can make the lighter weigh selections have the desired stiffness of the structure and fluidity of movement. JMHO

Last edited:
I know they are heavy and rather expensive, but my Wimberly gimbal head has been a solid performer for over 10 years and has the smoothest movement. It's not easy to carry around, and I've lugged it for miles on a beach, but the design allows it to consistently perform correctly. The Benro is also a solid gimbal head, but I believe it is nearly as pricey as the Wimberly.

I know they are heavy and rather expensive, but my Wimberly gimbal head has been a solid performer for over 10 years and has the smoothest movement. It's not easy to carry around, and I've lugged it for miles on a beach, but the design allows it to consistently perform correctly. The Benro is also a solid gimbal head, but I believe it is nearly as pricey as the Wimberly.
I agree that they are both good choices. What I was trying to say was that if you can find a lighter gimbal head made from Carbon fiber (or titanium - much more expensive) that provides the same performance it will be a factor in the design decisions made by the manufacturer. Carbon fiber can be both lighter and stiffer in structure if designed with those principles in mind. You will achieve lightness without sacrificing performance. I will say that in the current market size, this design will probably be on the more expensive side of things. Life is balancing tradeoffs ;)

Another thought for transportability is the design for disassembly. Some of the newer gimbal heads are not tube-based but pieces that form right angles and can be disassembled for compactness when transporting. For me this is equally important to weight as the volume needed to transport is also a big issue.

I agree that they are both good choices. What I was trying to say was that if you can find a lighter gimbal head made from Carbon fiber (or titanium - much more expensive) that provides the same performance it will be a factor in the design decisions made by the manufacturer. Carbon fiber can be both lighter and stiffer in structure if designed with those principles in mind. You will achieve lightness without sacrificing performance. I will say that in the current market size, this design will probably be on the more expensive side of things. Life is balancing tradeoffs ;)

Another thought for transportability is the design for disassembly. Some of the newer gimbal heads are not tube-based but pieces that form right angles and can be disassembled for compactness when transporting. For me this is equally important to weight as the volume needed to transport is also a big issue.
I wasn't disagreeing with you in the least. I just think I worded it poorly. I wanted to emphasize that the Wimberly is a beast, it's heavy, and it's bulky but, partly because of that, it moves smoothly and easily. I would like a new one that can be broken down and transported more easily, I have to give up luggage space and weight to fly with it. You are definitely right about the weight and the materials. and yes. Everything in life is a trade off (or in the case of a Gimbal head a balancing act ):LOL:

I know they are heavy and rather expensive, but my Wimberly gimbal head has been a solid performer for over 10 years and has the smoothest movement. It's not easy to carry around, and I've lugged it for miles on a beach, but the design allows it to consistently perform correctly. The Benro is also a solid gimbal head, but I believe it is nearly as pricey as the Wimberly
I have the Benro and it's quite good. My friend has the Wimberly. No diff to me.
Wimberly $595.00 Benro $375.00 (US prices)

Sorry for the late reply lads . Its been a bit of an awkward time due to a death in the family.

It's hard to explain the problem properly but I will strip the gimbal down & take some pics to explain in a day or two.i Hope this is OK.

Sorry for the late reply lads . Its been a bit of an awkward time due to a death in the family.

It's hard to explain the problem properly but I will strip the gimbal down & take some pics to explain in a day or two.i Hope this is OK.
If you want the best don't look anywhere else Promediagear.com Katana JR is the best out there and buy for the best customer service. PM me and i can give you a 10% discount code. I had TSA drop my gimbal on a two week trip to yellowstone for elk rut and break off a knob not saying a thing go figure! I called PMG and talked to Tom that turned out to be one of the owners. I told him my problem he ask if i had any tools which i didn't. He said give me a address and i'll personally drop the parts and the tools you need to fix your gimbal and over night them to you. Next day the parts and the tools showed up saving my trip being i was shooting a Canon 600iSll 1DXMKll HEAVY combo
!!! Good luck getting that kind of service anywhere else. Katana JR is the one you want not the Katana it's way to big.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back