Has anyone had issues using 1.4 extender with 100-400 with adaptor? I’m waiting for the 100-500 but in the mean time I thought I would use my old lens

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

GloriaN

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Gloria Nelson
City/State
NY
Anyone having issues with 1.4 extender with 100-400 on the RF ?

No, works perfectly and better still, so does the 2x Mk3 although a lot slower to AF. Still as none of my DSLR's would AF with the latter other than in live view I think that's a big thumbs up.

ive been using the 100-400L ii with 1.4X iii with no problems (beyond still coming up on the R6 Learning curve). My 2X converter also works to my satisfaction, although one pro bird photographer said that was ‘not recommended’. (He didn’t say and I didn’t ask why.) Are you experiencing issues?

Anyone having issues with 1.4 extender with 100-400 on the RF ?
I've used my 1.4X ii on both the 100-400L i and 100-400L ii with no issues on my R5 and on my R. The 2X iii also works well on both. I have tried the 1.4X and 2X stacked (using a 12mm tube between them) on the R5, it will still autofocus but the image quality suffers a bit more than I want to work with.

I have used it with my R5 and Canon adapter with the ring. It worked great. In fact, I found the images to be sharper than the 100-400 + 1.4 on my old 7D2. Perhaps because mirrorless does not need AF calibration the focus in more accurate.

Interestingly, I went out yesterday specifically to experiment using my 100-400 with both the adapter and 1.4 extender. Whilst shooting I was a bit concerned as it seemed that the eye tracking was slower to capture and quicker to loose a track once it had one. Also, from what I saw through the viewfinder I thought the results would be mediocre at best as the focus seemed soft. However, even at 560mm the results were better than I expected. Very pleased.

Attachments

• Demo-8824.jpg
    Demo-8824.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Demo-8916-2.jpg
    Demo-8916-2.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Demo-8916.jpg
    Demo-8916.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back