Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Wayne
City/State
Marysville, WA.
Hello all! I have been dabbling in photography for about 40 years now off and own. With the digital revolution, like many others I started with the Nikon D70 and shot Nikon gear until 2010 or so. Had to sell it all off due to financial binds and when I got going again, I made the move to Canon starting with a used T2i.

Since then I’ve worked my way up through 7D, 6D, 7D2, 80D, and 5D4 before moving to the R in 2018 and last year decided to go all in trading my two R’s for an R5 and R6. Along the way I have had most of the EOS “M” cameras and currently have an M6 Mark II. I’ve also tried MFT twice but was just never really happy with it and keep coming back to the M series cameras for a smaller kit.

Currently I am mostly using RF lenses with the RF 15-35, RF 24-240mm, RF 35mm, RF 50mm f/1.8, RF 70-200mm f/4L, and RF 800mm f/8. Still holding on to my EF 8-15mm f/4L FE, EF 100mm f/2.8L macro, and EF 100-400mm II lenses to use with adapters.

Third party lenses are a Laowa 12mm f/2.8 in an EF mount and the Samyang RF mount 85mm f/1.4 AF

My personal photography interest is aircraft, landscape/nature, and wildlife but I have done pretty well for myself doing Real Estate listing shoots which has funded most of my gear. Without the money coming in from that I would never have been able to justify or afford my gear And I consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to build my kit through that service.

I am hoping to retire late 2022, and by then I will have probably traded the EF 100-400mm for an RF 100-500mm. The only lens left to desire at that point would be one of the super-tele primes, but the cost of those will require a LOT of real estate shoots.

I am hopeful the rumored R7 crop body will be released soon, and if it is inline with he R5/R6 for stills features with about 35mp in APS-C I would probably give up the R5 to go with an R6/R7 duo. I really don’t shoot video, so the R5 is overkill except for the resolution it provides.

Anyway, I always enjoy seeing what others are doing and learning from what they post.

Wayne

Last edited:
Thank you for joining up here Wayne and introducing yourself. The big primes definitely won't be cheap. I also shoot with Sony and rented their 600mm F4 over Christmas. It saved me a lot of money as I soon realised that I didn't really enjoy lugging all that extra weight and bulk around with me. It's great if you are staying put, but if you move around a lot then it soon weighs you down. So I'm very happy to stay with the zooms for now. I'm using the R5 with the 100-500 and can carry it around comfortably all day long.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back