bobhowdy

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bob Howdeshell
I had an opportunity to photograph this Ruby-throated Hummingbird this morning (Juvenile male) Each image was shot "hand held" with a Canon R5 camera body and a RF 100mm-500mm lens.
Camera Settings
shutter speed = 1/8000 sec.
f/stop = f/7.1
iso = 1,000
focal length = 500mm
no flash fired
In camera "auto eye detect" was used

Attachments

• ruby_throated_hummingbird_0001a_sm.jpg
    ruby_throated_hummingbird_0001a_sm.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 89
  • ruby_throated_hummingbird_0002a_sm.jpg
    ruby_throated_hummingbird_0002a_sm.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 81
  • ruby_throated_hummingbird_0003a_sm.jpg
    ruby_throated_hummingbird_0003a_sm.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 73
I had an opportunity to photograph this Ruby-throated Hummingbird this morning (Juvenile male) Each image was shot "hand held" with a Canon R5 camera body and a RF 100mm-500mm lens.
Camera Settings
f/stop = f/7.1
iso = 1,000
focal length = 500mm
no flash fired
great images.

Great photos. Why 1/8000? That's awfully high shutter and forces your ISO up. I've done 1/2000 successfully handheld.

Camera Settings
f/stop = f/7.1
iso = 1,000
focal length = 500mm
no flash fired
Very nice images. One comment about the High ISO. With the R5 & 6 we really need to redefine what is a high ISO given how well these cameras handle "high" ISO. Plus there is always Topaz DeNoise which is fantastic.

In exchange for the loan of an R5 and 100-500mm lens when I was trying to decide if I wanted one my Canon guy asked me to take some with the electronic shutter since he knew I did a lot of hummingbirds. It didn't always warp the wings but when it did the results were often very cool.

And I'm of the "I want to see movement" camp, but it's always nice if you can capture the wings at their apex so you see both movement and feather detail.

Attachments

• _61A2529-Edit-copy.jpg
    _61A2529-Edit-copy.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 66
  • _61A2549-Edit-copy.jpg
    _61A2549-Edit-copy.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 58
In exchange for the loan of an R5 and 100-500mm lens when I was trying to decide if I wanted one my Canon guy asked me to take some with the electronic shutter since he knew I did a lot of hummingbirds. It didn't always warp the wings but when it did the results were often very cool.

And I'm of the "I want to see movement" camp, but it's always nice if you can capture the wings at their apex so you see both movement and feather detail.
Very cool! I use the electronic shutter on my R6 all the time when shooting birds and it works great

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back