dmanthree

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David Manzi
I was looking for a lighter camera, so got a Sony A6700. Well, it's going back. While I did not expect IQ to match my R5 it had other issues. The eye relief for the EVF made it damned difficult for a glasses wearer to see the whole screen, the diopter adjustment was nearly unusable, and the IQ just wasn't good enough. And maybe I'm just to accustomed to Canon colors.

Oh, well...

I am thinking about the A6700 and tried one for a few hours being lucky to go to a Sony training day. I don’t wear glasses but was impressed by the little beast . Shame you can’t get on with it.

I am thinking about the A6700 and tried one for a few hours being lucky to go to a Sony training day. I don’t wear glasses but was impressed by the little beast . Shame you can’t get on with it.

Yeah, it is. And after processing the raw files in ACR I've changed my opinion about the IQ. It's actually quite good. But, well, that EVF problem is a fatal flaw (for me...). Oh well.

Out of curiosity, why a Sony A6700 when you are familiar with Canon and already have RF lenses that will work on an R50? The sizes are roughly similar and the Canon weighs less. The only possibly critical feature differences that jump out at me are the R50's lack of IBIS and weather sealing, and its shorter battery life. Admittedly, when Sony ended the A-mount series and left IBIS out of all but the most expensive A6XXX bodies, I switched to Fuji. Fuji didn't have IBIS back then, but I really, really liked the look and other features.

Out of curiosity, why a Sony A6700 when you are familiar with Canon and already have RF lenses that will work on an R50? The sizes are roughly similar and the Canon weighs less. The only possibly critical feature differences that jump out at me are the R50's lack of IBIS and weather sealing, and its shorter battery life. Admittedly, when Sony ended the A-mount series and left IBIS out of all but the most expensive A6XXX bodies, I switched to Fuji. Fuji didn't have IBIS back then, but I really, really liked the look and other features.

I looked at the Sony because of the mostly complete lack of RF-S lenses. Sony is a much better supported APS-C system. Canon has never been really serious about crop cameras despite the existence of the R7. Anyway, I've decided to stay put for a while. My travel kit is an R5, 24-240, and 14-35. And the EL100 flash. Light enough.

Yeah, it really is. But maybe someone will introduce a substitute eyepiece for glasses wearers. Ya never know...

By now Sony has a lot better ecosystem than the RF-S one. No question about it. Now the RF-S counts with a better adapters and the EF-S lenses work better in the R7 than what I experienced being in the Sony ecosystem. When I left Sony for the R7 to get Bird AF I had to buy a $3000 full frame Sony Camera.

The 6700 with a pancake lens makes a good companion camera that say, the camera design is not as appealing or comfortable as the R7.

By now Sony has a lot better ecosystem than the RF-S one. No question about it. Now the RF-S counts with a better adapters and the EF-S lenses work better in the R7 than what I experienced being in the Sony ecosystem. When I left Sony for the R7 to get Bird AF I had to buy a $3000 full frame Sony Camera.

The 6700 with a pancake lens makes a good companion camera that say, the camera design is not as appealing or comfortable as the R7.
Agreed, and the form factor of the R7 is better handling, but, well, the lack of glass is, for now, a fatal flaw. And honestly it's not that much smaller than my R5.

I looked at the Sony because of the mostly complete lack of RF-S lenses. Sony is a much better supported APS-C system. Canon has never been really serious about crop cameras despite the existence of the R7. Anyway, I've decided to stay put for a while. My travel kit is an R5, 24-240, and 14-35. And the EL100 flash. Light enough.
Good reason.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back