Full Frame If you use the RF lens custom ring, how do you use it?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

BasilFawlty

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ψ
Just curious whether folks here use the RF lens custom ring (I'll confess I don't at resent by may try it). If you do use the RF lens ring, how do you have it programmed? Is it different for different lenses you have?

Hi Basil,

With my R5 I've set it for Exposure Compensation (only enabled when the shutter is half-pressed). Same for all our RF lenses.

I forget to use it 99% of the time (EC is also available to me as a 'multi-function' - via the settings button as I use the M-Fn button to cycle modes).

:)

Phil

(I've set the custom ring of Karen's R7 up the same - she forgets to use it 100% of the time).

Last edited:
Hi Basil,
Like Phil I have mine set for exposure compensation across all lenses. I also rarely use it as I generally shoot in manual mode (and forget entirely about the ring when I change to other modes).

Mike

"Control Ring"

Aperture :
  • Turning the Control Ring to the left (anticlockwise) decreases the aperture (greater depth of field).
  • Turning the Control Ring to the right (clockwise) increases the aperture (shallower depth of field).
For me, Exposure Compensation is critically important because it needs to changed often; therefore, assigning EC to the lenses’ Control Rings is unacceptable because the placement of the ring varies between lenses – most confusing! (On the RF 100-500 it’s particularly difficult to reach.)

More to follow…

Last edited:
I use mine the same way Phil described above, for exposure compensation, active with shutter button partially pressed. I actually use mine pretty frequently. With several of my lenses though, as a non-L guy, the ring is shared between manual focus and whatever control mode I have assigned, selectable via a switch. In these cases, I leave the switch in control mode unless I need to use manual focus.

Hi Basil,

In the beginning I used the control ring on the lenses to adjust ISO, but I found AUTO ISO so useful that I don't use the ring anymore. I have the EOS R6 MK1, RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM, RF 16 mm F2.8 STM and RF 50 mm F1.8 STM. Don't know about the future, yet! :)

Like many above, I use mine strictly for exposure compensation. However, unless it's attached to a tripod, the control ring on the Rf 100-500mm is placed such that it's very difficult to use when hand held.

Used mine for ISO, but like one of the comments when out in the field I'm happy with auto ISO, think I will give Compensation a go. Yes on the 100-500 it's so bloody awkward to use!!!

I use the control ring adapter on the R7 where I use it for ISO. The R3 has a dial for ISO and I use a plain adapter.

I have toyed with the idea of EC as I have been using auto-ISO more lately, but I'm definitely not ready to switch.

On my R5 there are four rings/dials and four exposure variables.

For me it is of critical importance that the rings/dials are treated as a suite to control exposure; therefore, the question is not “What do I do with the Control Ring on the lens?”, but “How do I assign the four exposure variables to the four rings/dials so that they word in unison?”

Explanation to follow…

On my R5 there are four rings/dials and four exposure variables.

For me it is of critical importance that the rings/dials are treated as a suite to control exposure; therefore, the question is not “What do I do with the Control Ring on the lens?”, but “How do I assign the four exposure variables to the four rings/dials so that they word in unison?”

Explanation to follow…
That's certainly a question, but it's not the question I was asking. My question for this thread was "IF" you use the lens control ring, what do you use it for. If you don't use it, that's ok too.

When I got my R7 I set the Control Ring to Av to function as an f/stop ring like I used to have with my pre-EOS cameras.

For my EF and EF-S lenses I bought the Control Ring EF to R adapter.

However, I've recently found that the Control Ring is too easily accidentally turned when I'm not intending to, so I've rendered it inactive.

I now use the ring around the joystick by the viewfinder for Aperture, the Main Dial on the top deck for Shutter Speed, and I hit the ISO button on the top deck to toggle the Main Dial over to ISO setting. Since I keep my R7 set to ISO 400 almost permanently this works fine for me.

Exposure Compensation? Who needs auto exposure when the viewfinder and RGB histogram let me adjust things to taste without a meter trying to grab the wheel?

For the control ring, you can assign actions that are only in conjunction with shutter half-press. If you're not already using that, it might reduce accidental adjustments.

As for EC, well, if it wasn't so useful for some shooting styles it wouldn't be such a prominent feature! I don't use it, but that's mostly because I have no experience with it. It has a lot of value when shooting moving subjects.

Just curious whether folks here use the RF lens custom ring (I'll confess I don't at resent by may try it). If you do use the RF lens ring, how do you have it programmed? Is it different for different lenses you have?
I have mine set to change the ISO, in conjunction with the DOF button. The combination took a bit of getting used to but, now that I have, it works well...

On what camera are you linking it to the DOF button? My R7 only seems to give me the option of linking to metering.

My control ring adjusts the exposure compensation while half-pressing the shutter button. However, I find the arrangement awkward, working two controls at the same time, and it's annoying with the control ring being in different places with different lenses. So I practically never use that ring.

Fortunately, exposure compensation is usually not important with modern ISO-invariant cameras. I adjust underexposures in post as necessary.

I set it for exposure compensation.Love it.

Aperature. Seemed logical to me for a ring on the lens. Unusable on the RF 100-500. Incredibly poor inaccessible position.

Aperature. Seemed logical to me for a ring on the lens. Unusable on the RF 100-500. Incredibly poor inaccessible position.
I've heard that from a lot of people. What were they thinking? Maybe they will eventually come out with a Mark II version and fix that.

Exposure Compensation. I admit that I rarely use it because of location on my RF 100 - 500.

Luckily it is well placed on the 100-400mm and 600mm F11 and so easy to just rapidly get exposure right for things like birds going from dark to back lit when they take off and so on. I think it's mainly a bird photography or something small relative to the background thing where it really comes into its own.

Luckily it is well placed on the 100-400mm and 600mm F11 and so easy to just rapidly get exposure right for things like birds going from dark to back lit when they take off and so on. I think it's mainly a bird photography or something small relative to the background thing where it really comes into its own.
So then you set it to exposure compensation?

I don't really like and it is awkward on the 100-500. The only reason I have it mapped is because the R6II has two QC dials and the R7 has only one. I shoot in M mode and Auto ISOI on both bodies. I try and keep both boxes as consistent as I can.

R6II dials. Main is for shutter speed, QC1 is for EC and QC2 is for aperture.

R7 dials. Same as the R6II except it has no QC2 so I mapped aperture to the lens ring. The only good thing is I don't change the aperture very often on the R7.

I have to say I do prefer the QC1 location on the R7. I didn't at first but I find it is in a more natural position for me.

I use it with all lenses for exposure compensation on the R7. As noted elsewhere, the placement of the RF 100-500 control ring renders it difficult to use.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back