Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
Hello Timothy.

I have noticed when a picture is upload direct to a thread the Image Metadata is missing. If the image is uploaded to the gallery it is there. I have been advising members to put their pictures in the gallery and placing a link in the thread, that way the IM is available.

Is the lack of IM in a thread a switch that need turning on or a software limitation?

Thanks Greg

Hi Greg,

Some images might not include the metadata in the first instance, so then it will not display, as often this gets stripped out when processing files.

There is also a setting under account preferences that stops the metadata from displaying directly under an image in the forums, but this doesn't remove it from the media gallery. So this might be what you are seeing.

The metadata will also only display directly under an image when that image is inserted as full size. If it's inserted as a thumbnail it won't display due to the lack of space.

Any images uploaded to the genre forums like wildlife, landscape etc are also mirrored to the matching category in the gallery. In these forums you can click an image and it will also display the metadata in the sidebar of the lightbox, that's if it exists when uploaded.

In the other forums images are not mirrored to the gallery as it makes little sense. There would be lots of images copied over that don't really belong there. Because of how the forum software works, when you click images in these forums you won't see the sidebar with the metadata or comment options. But metadata should still display below full-size images if enabled.

Sometimes it's also a little buggy as the PHP EXIF function isn't the best.

If you can point me to an example I can check this.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Greg,

Some images might not include the metadata in the first instance, so then it will not display, as often this gets stripped out when processing files.

There is also a setting under account preferences that stops the metadata from displaying directly under an image in the forums, but this doesn't remove it from the media gallery. So this might be what you are seeing.

The metadata will also only display directly under an image when that image is inserted as full size. If it's inserted as a thumbnail it won't display due to the lack of space.

Any images uploaded to the genre forums like wildlife, landscape etc are also mirrored to the matching category in the gallery. In these forums you can click an image and it will also display the metadata in the sidebar of the lightbox, that's if it exists when uploaded.

In the other forums images are not mirrored to the gallery as it makes little sense. There would be lots of images copied over that don't really belong there. Because of how the forum software works, when you click images in these forums you won't see the sidebar with the metadata or comment options. But metadata should still display below full-size images if enabled.

Sometimes it's also a little buggy as the PHP EXIF function isn't the best.

If you can point me to an example I can check this.

Cheers,
Tim
Hi I just edited my M100 picture. Removed it from the gallery and put it in the post. I can see the IM below my picture. I was not aware before some pictures could have the IM stripped out, I suppose it could have been omitted during post production.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back